Interesting EV charging article

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Ivan Salazar, Feb 1, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. Amazing how a journalist can write an article on a subject that every EV owner understands implicitly.
    He seems to think that having a larger battery increases the energy consumption rate while driving.

electriceddy likes this.
  3. I'll bite on this one too;

"Owning an EV without a spot to plug in at home or work is doable, it just won't be fun."

I really have not used my home charging unit that much in 10+ years.
    It is handy...if needed due to some emergency or unanticipated occasions.
    But I do have fun charging for free. Especially in those enjoyable locations.

upload_2022-2-1_16-39-25.jpeg :)

apu and KiwiME like this.
  4. I have yet to pay for a charge, at home or on a trip. That could end April 22 when the free Petro Canada charging runs out. Still hope someone else steps up, but wouldn't count on it. However, BC Hydro may start offering lower rates for off hours at home, so that would help. And never a problem accessing charging stations. We have lots of them and more and more being constructed and opened.

5. Ivan Salazar

Ivan Salazar New Member

So far 90% of the time I’m charging at 110V at home or at work. I charge daily to 90% from 80% so 4-5 hrs at night and most of time with scheduled departure the car is nice and warm. I only use Level 2 charging when I need extra range or have to charge from 60% to 90%.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

Imagine how cool it would be to have a gas pump at your house. Just pull up and fill up any time. Never closed, never forget your wallet.

that is what it is like owning an EV, why are they trying to make it seem like a disadvantage?

Maybe if you are living in the film 'night of the living dead' it might suck, but otherwise it rocks

Ivan Salazar likes this.
  8. Well, having a gas pump at home would be terrible. It'd smell, you would have to actually fill it (not just plug and forget) and you'd have to be around when the truck comes to fill your tank up.

Of course I get your point, but there is nothing better and easier than charging at home (your point). Literally, plug and forget. It's even easier than charging your cell phone.

ENirogus and KiwiME like this.
  9. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

I don't think I'm going to risk the potential brain damage that could be caused by reading the whole article. I've been charging in a plain ole 110v wall socket for nearly 2 years just fine, thank you. In the place I'm just moving into I'll be putting in a level 2 charger, but mainly because -- like many homes in Hilo -- it doesn't have a garage, just a carport that's semi-exposed to the element. In that environment, given the occasional howling storms here, I want a hard-wired unit rated for outdoor use.

10. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

Heh, charging at night in your own garage is one of the biggest advantages of EV over ICE, because the cost of using EVs charged on public DC chargers is similar to ICE, at least in Europe. I personally treat landing on public chargers as an emergency option or an unpleasant necessity on longer journeys.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

I mean that's not entirely wrong; A larger battery is heavier, and weight works against energy efficiency. I don't think that's what he was going for, though...

The main thing missing from this opinion piece (and many like it) is that what charging scheme works for you will be highly personal and dependent on your needs and means. As noted by others in this thread, 110V charging is viable if the amount of driving you do is within what 110V charging can deliver, which depends on how much driving you do and your vehicle's efficiency, which in turn depends on things you can control like your driving habits, and things you can't control like weather and even the car itself. It's all rather nuanced when you really dig into it.

That said, I've also done perfectly fine on 110V charging for the month between getting my Kona and getting the chargepoint installed, and even though recently I'm doing more driving and using more heat I still think I could manage if I plugged it in all the time. I appreciate that this is mostly because I drive only about 10 miles per day typically and that certainly doesn't describe everyone's situation...

Bruce M. likes this.