If choosing EV based on what you used to drive in ICE vehicle...

Discussion in 'General' started by miatadan, Jul 3, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

Since having my drivers license most of my cars has been the more affordable sports cars. Ford Mustangs faster but Mazda MX5 ( Miata ) better handling.

So if I compare the current model EV's available to 2021 Mazda MX5 ( Miata ) performance which is slower than current 2021 Ford Mustang GT.

2021 Mazda Miata MX5 performance 0-100km/h 6.5sec, top speed 219 km/h

EV's in 2021 under $55,000 Canadian , performance in km/h as I am in Canada

Tesla Model 3 SR+
    0-100 km/h 5.6 sec
    225 km/h top speed

BMW 330e RWD ( PHEV )
    0-100 km/h 5.9 sec
    228 km/h top speed

Mach-E RWD
    0-100 km/h 6.1 sec
    180 km/h top speed

pricing wise the BMW 330e most affordable

———————————————————-

Chevrolet Bolt EV 2LT
    0-100 km/h 6.9 sec
    145 km/h top speed ( this is unacceptable when Toyota Prius Prime is 180 km/h )

Nissan Leaf S Plus
    0-100 km/h 7.1 sec
    159 km/h top speed

Mini Cooper SE
    0-100 km/h 7.3 sec
    150 km/h top speed

Hyundai Kona Electric Ultimate 64 kWh version
    0-100 km/h 7.6 sec
    167 km/h top speed

VW ID4 Pro RWD
    0-100 km/h 8.5 sec
    160 km/h top speed

Toyota Prius Prime ( PHEV )
    0-100 km/h 10.2 sec
    180 km/h top speed

Noticed what has not changed is the best performance EV's are RWD not FWD.

So only conclusion I can come to is that the Chervolet Bolt, Nissan Leaf S Plus, Mini Cooper SE, Hyundai Kona Electric, VW ID4 Pro and Toyota Prius Prime are too slow to be close to the current Mazda MX5 ( Miata ) as I do not care about range at all.

There has been plenty of times in the past when I was over 200 km/h when passing other cars on the highway.
    Yes, best performance not really needed for day to day driving when going to work or getting groceries but nice to have on highway and emergency situation to get out of the way.

Dan

bwilson4web likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Hate to say it, but when I read this, I immediately thought of this truism. "Power is just a crutch for low skill drivers."

I have never lacked for power with my Kona (or any other car I have owned), either passing on the highway, or merging on an on-ramp. But I have seen bad drivers come flying up the right side of a merge lane to squeeze in ahead, and having then to jam on the brakes causing a domino effect behind them of near accidents. These people should go back to driving school...

4. miatadan

The 2021 Mazda MX5 is not even considered to be fast car compared to Porsche 911, BMW M series, Audi RS series, Corvette, and even Mustang GT and Camaro SS . Most people do not even feel that the Mazda MX5 is a performance car which I compared EV's to...

So I do consider top speed of 159 km/h to 167 km/h a joke compared to what the majority of sports cars can do. Yes, I driven fast when in passing lane and divided highways but not stay at extreme high speed more than minute or two when passing.

Dan

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  5. miatadan

Also those who like high performance can attend performance driving school such as this in Ontario:

Pinnacle Advanced Driving Academy

https://pinnacledriving.com/offerings

ABOUT US
    Pinnacle Advanced Driving Academy (PADA) was created to help introduce car enthusiasts to the world of performance driving and motorsports.

We know performance driving can be intimidating, so our goal is to provide a safe and funenvironment to develop the potential of your driving skills.

Community is a key pillar of our philosophy at PADA as we aim to bring together like minded car enthusiasts to build and share experiences with; as we like to say: "It's just better driving with friends"

Our Approach
    BEST OF BREED CURRICULUM
    Our curriculum is a continuously evolving compilation of the best techniques and methodologiescurrently available. It has been developed with input from professional educators to facilitate the highest retention and application of knowledge and skills in the way the content is delivered and most importantly, received by the students. We focus on breaking down complex theories and skills into small consumable sections that can be focused on and applied in the shortest amount of time

EVALUATION SYSTEM

Our evaluation system works in conjunction with our best of breed curriculum to re-enforce the skills necessary to become a more proficient performance driver. By allowing students to clearly understand their progress they can easily identify specific areas they can focus on with an instructor or on their own. This provides a platform for the continuous improvement of skills and a method to track progress over the short and long term

CONSISTENT EXPERIENCE

We believe in delivering a consistent experience to customers when it comes to the way our events are run, delivery of the curriculum and in-car instruction. We certify our instructors to ensure that we are delivering the same content in the same way to maximize our customer experience. The last thing we want is for our students to have a disparate experience with different instructors as this leads to confusion and frustration which is a common experience with other driving schools

Very affordable, only $425 Canadian

Only taken Level 1 but hope maybe next year to take Level 2 when pandemic is over.

Also near by to Sudbury

https://www.elliotlakedragway.com

this year:

Event Schedule

15JULY202111:00AM - 4:00PM
    NAPA Power Sports Customer Appreciation Day
    In conjunction with the North Shore Cruisers
    Featuring; Show N Shine, Special Attraction Cars on Display, BBQ by Dawg House and DJ Music with Mobile Sounds

15JULY20214:00PM - 10:00PM
    Pre-Registration at the Elliot Lake Airport
    Any vehicles arriving after 10PM are to line up in the Pit Area for Friday Morning.
    NO PARKING on the Airport Road. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Many of my friends and I attend this every year.

Dan

6. https://insideevs.com/news/342396/watch-hyundai-kona-electric-accelerate-to-top-speed/
    It's a little faster than spec. I think I read somewhere that the top speed is governed. But in any case, no need to go any faster...

As for acceleration, don't think the Kona can be much faster with just FWD. I know if I floor it the tires will chirp (TCS working) up to 60 kph. If I turn TCS off, I can smoke the front tires. But that was only for testing, and don't like to make a spectacle of myself with that type of driving. Although, will admit I sometimes do take some pleasure in beating a hot sports car off a red light. Nothing like instant EV torque for fast acceleration. Yup, my Kona is plenty fast for my needs and pleasure. I don't think your Miata would have much chance against my Kona at a red light.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. miatadan

Yes, a Miata at red light being ICE does not have much change against EV but with the list of EV's the Kona is second slowest to the VW ID4.

For me the reason for an EV is for the instant EV torque which is why my next car WILL NOT be an Miata MX5 but either the Tesla Model 3 SR+ or BMW 330e because all SUV/CUV type EV's are slower. Or maybe I be lucky that there be other options soon.
    Delaying vehicle purchase to next spring now.

Also handling is better in a car whether ICE or EV compared to SUV/CUV vehicles. Now I am older, handling is more important than the absolute speed.

Done some stupid risky things when in my 20's but no speeding tickets, or accidents since having my driver's licence.

Also when you mention:

" As for acceleration, don't think the Kona can be much faster with just FWD. " Main reason I do not like FWD at all.

For me car never been about going A to B but driving experience.

Dan

9. brulaz

brulaz Active Member

That's only in the sub C$55k range tho where they're trying to save $$$.
    AWD is pretty standard in the more expensive performance EVs.