ID-4 NOT well suited for Mountain Driving

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by Juergen Rinnert, Feb 18, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Juergen Rinnert

Juergen Rinnert New Member

We purchased our ID-4 in November and decided this week to take it on a road trip to Yosemite National Park from Los Angeles where we live. The distance is about 276 miles so we knew we had to charge it at least once. The car performed beautifully on the freeway going up. It is comfortable and has lots of leg room because there is no engine in front. The adjustable speed control allowed me to drive without having to hit the brake in traffic. That is a nice feature. We charged the car in Tulare along Hwy 99 and then drove towards Yosemite. We started to feel some "range anxiety" as we got into the foothills of the Sierra Mountains, but what we lost in range going up, we gained coming down so we arrived at Yosemite with a remaining battery range of 86 miles. We had seen that there are charging stations in Yosemite at several locations including the village and Awahnee hotel. We arrived the the Awahnee and found the charging stations occupied. Several hours later, someone did move their car we we rushed in. I caution anyone trying to drive an electric car to Yosemite not to expect to find a charger. There was no cost for using the charger, but it was slow at a rate of 6 miles per hour of charge. At that rate hotel guests would be inclined to keep the car plugged in for 24 hours just to get half a charge. We stayed connected for two hours to gain some range and then drove to our hotel in El Portal, just outside the park. It was downhill from the Valley so we gained some miles that way. We asked for permission at the hotel to plug into the standard 110 Volt outlets to charge overnight and got it. I was shocked when the display in the car stated it would take "44" hours to fully charge the car at that rate of 2 miles of range per hour. After all, we had more than 50% range left. We kept it plugged in all night for about 10 hours and the next day, our range had increased by 20 miles. At the time we checked out, we were showing a range of 146 miles. If we did not spend any "Range" visiting the Yosemite Valley again and use up the power, we felt we could get to the next Super Station, which is outside of Groveland on Hwy 120, in a community of Buck Meadows. A map distance of 38 miles. One would think 146 miles of "Range" should be good enough for 38 road miles. The distance from El Portal to the Summit over the Sierras on Hwy 120 towards Groveland is 16 miles to an an altitude of over 6,000 feet and, to our horror, we watched as "Range" decreased rapidly. It took 102 range miles to do the 16 road miles, so 637% of battery range for each uphill mile. Believe me, range anxiety started to set in early. Lucky for us, we reached the Summit with a "Range" of 42 miles of battery range showing. From then on, the road was downhill and for the next 22 road miles, the battery range dropped by only 1 mile. But the warning is clear. Arrive in a place with no Super Chargers with either reserve range miles or with at least a day to charge up your car, if you can find a charger since all users need it for a day or so. Otherwise, the only other observation is that at freeway speed, the indicated range miles drop by about 1.3 for every road mile traveled so don't assume you can go a full 240 miles.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DLinLV

DLinLV New Member

Good writeup. Its unfortunate we have to look closely at each station to determine charge rates available, and can usually assume that we cannot count on that rate of charge. It would be great if in the future all charger stations are at least 20 miles/hour capable, even with all chargers being in use. Having to wait for a car to pull out to get to a charger is a non-starter as well. You wouldnt put up with an unknown wait for a gas pump, its not different for electric charger.

The uphill drive performance is a very big point to consider, as is speed. We plan a trip to SoCal next month and I have already been mapping my stops and looking at how many chargers are in use at a given time to gauge availability when I will be stopping to charge. From Las Vegas the elevation and wind also play in mileage, so will be interesting to see how my stats work out.

4. hughkuhn

hughkuhn New Member

We took our ID4 to Yosemite and had a great time. Yes, with any EV you have to pay attention to your battery’s charge level, and yes uphill sucks power, especially if you drive fast, and yes, Level 2 (240v, 40amp if you are lucky) chargers are slow and Level 1 chargers (120v, 16amp) are basically for emergencies only when traveling. We’ve learned to slow down when we travel and to enjoy the charging breaks by grabbing coffee or lunch while the car charges. Audio books are good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. Lodi Dave

Lodi Dave New Member

I never use the miles guage, % is more accurate

electriceddy and insightman like this.