I tried the new "single flick" AutoPilot setting today...

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Kerbe, Nov 30, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

...and quickly switched back to the "double flick" setting.

If your vehicle has only Basic Autopilot, with "double flick" the first flick activates cruise control and the second activates AutoPilot. Whenever you activate your directionals, the vehicle drops out of AutoPilot but maintains speed because cruise control is still active.

With "single flick," cruise control is NOT activated so - when you activate the directionals - the vehicle drops out of AutoPilot and starts to regen so you slow down as you move into the other lane (unless you depress the accelerator to maintain your speed). This can be awkward...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Has anyone with Enhanced AutoPilot or FSD tried it yet? If so, what are your results?

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Yes, FSD:
    • Excellent when working.
      • Dual-lane, left turns can be dodgy ... I prefer to handle these manually.
      • "Phantom braking" linked to Google map scanning when road work done.
    • Low threshold for a "strike" which disables FSD until you put car in "P".
      • Striking out can disable FSD for a week but now I don't care.
        • Reverts to AutoPilot which also works for me.
    • Learning curve ... took me 3 weeks until I felt comfortable.
      • Autopilot paid for itself two months after buying car.
    Bob Wilson

5. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

I meant "have you tried the new single-flick setting to engage AutoPilot" if you have FSD or EAP as I have only standard AP.

6. bwilson4web

Single-flick does not give lane keeping. Once struck out, double-click gives Autopilot lane keeping. This is a fuzzy area subject to change.

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Sorry to disagree but, since the last update, you CAN select to have single-flick initiate AutoPilot.

Tesla Software Update 2023.38.9 Release Notes

You can set Autopilot to start when you pull down the right stalk once, rather than twice. To choose this setting, go to Controls > Autopilot > Autopilot Activation > Single Pull.

Be aware that with Single Pull, when Autopilot Features is set to Autosteer (Beta), you’ll bypass Traffic-Aware Cruise Control. Similarly, when Autopilot Features is set to Full Self-Driving (Beta), you’ll bypass Autosteer (Beta) and Traffic-Aware Cruise Control.

With Single Pull, when you cancel Autosteer (Beta) or Full Self-Driving (Beta), whether you take over the steering or push up the stalk one time – you’ll immediately return to manual driving.

9. bwilson4web

My Model 3 is downloading: 2023.27.12

The current version (soon to be previous) 2023.27.7

Bob Wilson

10. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

My 2023 RWD M3 is running 2023.44.1 and the app version is 4.27.5-2100

bwilson4web likes this.