I made myself an "eBay Spare Tire."

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by F14Scott, Nov 30, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

Thought I'd share my barely clever idea with the gang. I'm in Houston, so I don't rotate several sets of wheels like some of you northerners, so I don't have any options if I slice a tire open.

At 30K miles, my original Kooks hit the wear bars. Before I replaced them at the dealer (buy 3 get 1 free), I ordered on eBay a single new rim to match my original Tentacle Spokes. When the dealer mounted the new tires, I had them put one of the discards on the eBay rim.

I don't carry my eBay spare in Jessie, but if I ever have a flat on the road that I can't plug right there, I'll just have someone bring it to me or, at worst, have AAA flatbed me to my house and install it, there. Then, at my leisure, I'll have the dead tire properly repaired or replaced, with no driving on either a donut or a questionable fix-a-flat.

Since I'm toward the front of the pack, mileage-wise, I thought I'd pass on the tip before everybody starts throwing away their worn tires. Cheers!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

F14Scott likes this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Hah, I just had my winter tires replaced, and kept one of the worn ones as a spare since it's impossible to get winter tires late in the season. Can't afford a fifth rim, though, of the style I have. But great minds...

F14Scott likes this.