Hub Centric rings for Infiniti/Nissan wheels and spares

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Robert_Alabama, Apr 13, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I saw the pic of the spare from @Tek_Freek . I use this spare and I recommend this spare as it is really lightweight (and it looks good for a spare). It did make me think that it might not hurt to remind people that the Infiniti/Nissan has a 66.1 mm hub and the Honda Clarity is 64.1 mm. You can buy the ring adapter (ring of aluminum or plastic) pretty cheaply. Here are some on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4Pcs-Aluminum-Car-Assembly-Wheel-Spacer-Hub-Centric-Rings-66-1mm-OD-to-64-1mm-ID/114036135338

Here is a photo of the wheel without the adapter:
    without hub ring.jpg

Here are a couple of photos of aluminum adapters I have installed in two spares using JB Weld to fill in the space around the adapter to make it flush with the surface of the rim (Infiniti and Nissan recess the 66.1 mm surface into the rim a little, so there is a slight gap to fill when you insert the hub centric ring and leave the lip flush to the inner surface of the wheel). You can see the dark gray ring where the JB Weld has filled the gap.

Also, most of these Infiniti/Nissan wheels use acorn/conical/tapered lug nuts whereas the Honda Clarity uses ball/rounded/semicircular lug nuts. Some of the Infiniti and Nissan wheels use Mag type lug nuts as well. Bottom line, you'll want to keep a set of 5 lug nuts with your spare that fit the spare so you'll have the right lugs if you need to run the spare.

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    insightman and turtleturtle like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

@Robert_Alabama ,

It is a little difficult to visualize completely without seeing them in person, but I am assuming the JB Weld is just aesthetics?
    It seems like the ring would do it's job just fine without filling this gap...

Is the ring tight enough that you need to tap it in, or would it be loose and just fall out unless you bond it somehow?

4. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I wouldn't feel good about it without the JB weld. The ring goes too far into the wheel (too far from the inner surface) if you don't use the JB Weld to hold it. If you look at an OEM Honda wheel, the wheel makes contact with the hub at the inner surface. You would lose that contact area (support) if you don't try to make the hub centric ring flush with the inner surface of the wheel and I don't think the added ring would really be helpful at all. It also fits very loosely (it would fall out without the JB weld).

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021