Honda Link locate stolen vehicle?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by RobinBrain, Jun 16, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. RobinBrain

RobinBrain Member

Will honda link locate your vehicle if stolen, or does it just use the last location of the connected phone for the "Find my vehicle"

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Information about the latest version of Hondalink on the Honda website clearly states police can be given access by Honda to location tracking data if a Clarity is reported stolen.

4. Jason P

Jason P New Member

@Sandroad where did you see that? I didn't see vehicle tracking as a capability for the Clarity. It was an optional service for the Accord Touring when I was comparing that model prior to getting the clarity. But I think the Clarity has a much more limited feature set. The vehicles with a Wi-Fi hot-spot seem to have the most capabilities. But the service isn't free like on the Clarity.

5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

You can get the location of your Clarity whenever you want it with HL as long as the car is stationary and in range of a cell tower.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I wonder if Honda's police location option is more powerful and doesn't require the Clarity to be stationary?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

It's in Honda's Vehicle Data Privacy Practices for the 2018+ Hondalink app. They specify in the document that data on vehicle location while moving can be made available to police if there is a stolen vehicle reported.

The Privacy Practices document is scary to read for those of us old-timers who are not digital natives and used to everything about us being available to everyone all the time! The PP agreement for my Toyota is the same. It's astounding what manufacturers collect and how they use it. But that's too much thread drift and I think discussed in other threads too.

9. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

So who has the contact # for Honda to initiate this in case of theft? Is it the support # in HL? Can it be accessed 24/7? How do you hand this off to your local LE? Has anybody tried this?

I don’t want to be frantically Googling around in a high stress situation where time is critical. This would be great to share and have in the new owners read this section.

Lowell_Greenberg and insightman like this.
  10. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Ok, I gotta ask. Who besides one of us would steal this car? No one else even knows it exists.

insightman likes this.
  11. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

I would not worry about locking lug nuts either, not too much demand for the wheels or tires.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. AlAl

AlAl Active Member

I thought the same, but then I realized the wheel/cover combo retail for $1k/pop. $25 locks it is!

14. Jason P

Jason P New Member

Great point. I'd also like to contact my insurance company and seek a discount for having a vehicle recovery system. Seriously it's worth a shot for a discount.

15. RobinBrain

RobinBrain Member

I asked GEICO, they said no