Help ASAP Critical Failure

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by David Towle, Mar 22, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

My wife is driving the Clarity 200 miles from here and got a message "Critical failure stop the car as soon as its safe". I told her to pull over and restart. The message has not yet reappeared.

Any ideas?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. David Towle

Its listed in the manual but says nothing about what it means.

4. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

If you run the gas tank completely empty (not just empty on the dash gauge; there's still a full gallon in the tank when it says 0 bars and 0 miles HV remaining), it brings that up.

5. David Towle

Thanks, I think she was close to that, but had plenty of electric miles left. Does it not switch over to electric before it gets that low?

Madmartigen likes this.
  6. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

If you leave it in HV mode it will keep using the gas until it is actually out. It does switch to battery-only power and keep going despite the dire warning.

Madmartigen, sabasc and JFon101231 like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. David Towle

OK thanks. I won't worry about it then. I've never run it that low myself.

9. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

If you do get to the point where it runs out of gas in Hv and you have EV left I would recommend Pulling over turning the car off and back on again and leaving an in Eevee mode then it won’t try to start the gas engine again. When it does that you lose a ton of power I know this because I ran mine out to see what would happen I was one of the first and carefully documented observed the behavior.
    After it runs completely out of fuel and you restart it so there are not errors and it is in “EV” mode the car runs normally.

Madmartigen likes this.
  10. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Also running the fuel pump completely dry is not the best for it

David Towle and Madmartigen like this.