Hatchback warning

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Brewer Fan, Jun 20, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Brewer Fan

Brewer Fan Member

Whenever I start the MINI, it says my hatchback is open. The first time it happened, ( brand new car) I doubled checked and it was shut, but it still said it. It stops when I start going. Is this normal?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

No - not normal. That will need to be serviced at some point. At least it does not seem urgent. It sounds like getting to your dealer is a bit of a haul.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I get that warning a couple of times a month--even when the hatch hasn't been opened in days. It's irritating because the rear camera won't work if the car thinks the hatch is open. I open and close the hatch, the car is happy and the rear camera works. If opening and closing the hatch didn't fix the problem, I'd have to make the 40-mile drive to my dealer for an adjustment.

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Are you sure it’s really closed? It can be latched but technically open. There’s an electronic release and then there’s the mechanical release in the handle.

I had the problem of my SE saying hatch was open many times when I first start for a drive. It turned out the key fob in my pocket was unlocking the hatch door electronically. I solved this by disabling the hatch button on the fob via the SE settings options.

ghost and SameGuy like this.
  6. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I initially has the same recurring problem. After turning off the key fob lock-unlock-hatch function, all is well.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

My FOB was unlocking the hatch too. It is hard to notice its open at a glance and I don't until I try to reverse and there is no camera.

9. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Don’t keep your fob in a pocket in a pens you solve a problem . My I3 was always opening a front hood

10. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

Don't be wearing tight pants either :)

On my other cars I fabricated a plastic cover (made out of one of those plastic sheets that you form when hot and cools solid). Snap on or fix with a rubber band, done. Easily removed for the rare times I need to access buttons.