Good quality Model 3 cover alternatives?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Robin_in_CA, Mar 11, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robin_in_CA

Robin_in_CA New Member

Hi there, new (to me) Tesla owner here. Just traded in my 2018 Honda Clarity for a 2018 Tesla 3 Dual Motor Long Range due to the pending fuel pump recall with no ETA on parts and the basic math making the trade a no brainer. :) I'm completely blown away by the experience of the Tesla vs. the Honda from two very different 2018 cars with quite similar used prices.

As for my question: we park our car outside since we use our garage for high-end mountain bikes. I'd like to get a car cover to protect it, but the Tesla ones are $$$. Any recommendations on durable alternatives? Pros would be relatively easy to put on/take off and ability to hold up over time. Portability isn't an issue bc I likely will use the cover only at home.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I made my own:
    upload_2024-3-11_14-2-3.png

Bob Wilson

Robin_in_CA likes this.
  4. Robin_in_CA

Robin_in_CA New Member

Nice. I'm been browsing this channel and you remind me of my dad, a retired NASA engineer. It's a good comparison. :)

Here's mine. Squirrels like to sit in the tree and poop on my car, so I'd like to cover the whole thing.

PXL_20240311_010852037.jpg

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

In my 1.5-car garage, I have bike hoists to make room for my Honda Clarity. Unless you have one of those flat-roofed garages that would prevent you from hoisting the bikes out of the way, I'd suggest this alternative to a car cover.
    [​IMG]

To prevent dirt and grime from transferring to the inside of my car cover, I'm reticent to put the cover on my second (outside) car unless the car is clean. Otherwise, I worry the dirt and grime would scratch my car's finish later. So I ridiculously end up washing and drying my car before a possible hailstorm just so I can put the cover on without getting it dirty (and grimy).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
    Robin_in_CA likes this.
  6. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

In August I traded-in my 2018 Clarity on a new 2023 M3 RWD.

Here's a good discussion: https://www.teslaownersonline.com/threads/car-cover-whats-the-best-cover-that-is-actually-available.8804/

That said, this one comes highly recommended by several sources: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BYZ6GC5

Of course, you can't go wrong with Weathertech - but you're gonna pay a LOT: https://www.weathertech.com/tesla/2018/model-3/sunbrella/car-cover-bodystyle-option/withchargeportopening/

Robin_in_CA likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Robin_in_CA

Robin_in_CA New Member

We actually ride bikes more than drive the car, so making it less convenient to access the bikes is not appealing. We also have an extra-high popcorn ceiling garage in the place we rent o_O

Good point on only covering the car when it is super clean though. I picked up one of those Amazon covers, but haven't tried it yet because the squirrels already made their marks.

insightman likes this.