Free beer.............tomorrow

Discussion in 'General' started by Paul K, Mar 28, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

It's a little frustrating in the EV world right now. One will see numerous press releases of new models coming out of the oven but like the free beer they're not available........until tomorrow! Until recently there have been zero new EVs available "off the lot" in Canada. A few Leafs have trickled in after an almost two year hiatus. The poor Leaf has soldiered on for 12 years now being rather poorly supported by Nissan in terms of any upgrades after the 2018 refresh. It really is heading into obsolescence with Chademo and a relatively slow charging rate.

It has been my business practice to move vehicles along after a 4 year period of declaring depreciation as a business expense so I've been looking. Dealers will show new EVs on their websites but it's just a trick to get people to come in. They're all pre-sold. Hyundai and Kia aren't even taking deposits for orders right now and Nissan just can't seem to get the Ariya moving in a significant way.

I did venture into a Cadillac dealership as they had a Lyric on their website but it was already gone by the time I got in. Around the same price as a model Y but much more handsome both inside and out by the website photos.

Looks like I'll be hanging on to my 2018 for at least another year. It has been a reliable and comfortable vehicle to get around in and still has all the capacity bars showing. I'm using the old ICE cars for the long distance runs now to keep the mileage down on the Leaf hopefully to maintain some type of resale value. And I might add it's a heck of a lot easier to stay warm, avoid charging delays and range anxiety.

I'm hoping things will begin to loosen up by next year. As my next vehicle could well be my last I may over ride my spartan instincts and splurge a little. And as there's no real need to
    hurry patience may be rewarded with more choice.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

I have no doubt EV sales could instantly double if the vehicles weren't in such short supply. I did notice, though, that when I took my Hyundai Kona in for service a few days ago, they did have one Kona EV on the lot for sale -- at a $2,800 markup over sticker, off of which they graciously offered a $1,000 "discount." This for a model that's been around for several years and is due to be replaced by a new version next year.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I share your angst. I love my 2021 MINI Cooper SE, but my wife says the 50-mile trek for MINI service won't be acceptable as we move deeper into our 70s (even though our MINI's never needed servicing). I also love my 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV, but don't feel comfortable that Honda will have parts for it when it's getting old (in 2019 Honda couldn't supply a new shifter for my 2006 Insight). I'll want a modern electric CAR when we downsize to having just one. The country's fanatic obsession with SUVs and crossovers makes it tough to find a good car these days.

For personal reasons, I won't be a Tesla customer. If Hyundai figures out how to keep a charge in the 12-Volt batteries of their EVs, the Ioniq 6 would be a reasonable EV. However, after driving Hondas for many decades, I'm hoping the awkwardly named "Afeela" EV from Sony/Honda will not have any show-stoppers, such as a $65K price. If it's affordable--and available--I'll somehow get used to the name.