Federal rebate questions

Discussion in 'General' started by DanGest, Mar 27, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DanGest

DanGest Member

A couple questions that I can't seem to easily find the answer to.

Question 1: Are people withholding less money from paychecks once they have bought a qualifying vehicle? I bought my car this month for instance, so in theory I can withhold 7500/9 (April-December - $833) less dollars a month which would be nice to use to pay the car off faster, as my tax liability should be that much less at the end of the year.

Question 2: Is there a limit per person/household for the rebates?, my wife and I both bought a Clarity, I feel safe knowing we can file separately, but of course would rather file together.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

1. It depends on your situation. Some will do as you plan. Others have tax deferred money like a traditional IRA or a traditional 401k from a former employer and converted it to a Roth IRA or just took the money out to live on if they met the age requirement. Converting to a Roth IRA creates a taxable event.

2. There are two spots on form 8936 for vehicles. I suggest you go read the instructions for form 8936 or consult a tax advisor.

Obviously, you need to pay enough taxes this year to use up all those credits.