Engineering emissions test program

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Richard_arch74, Nov 27, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

Curious if anyone else has received a letter from Honda and Automotive Testing and Development Services, Inc?
    An invitation to participate in an emissions test on our 2018 Clarity. Sounds like they will keep the car for 1-4 weeks, maybe longer to do testing. I might call them and see if they are willing to keep my car for 3 months instead of me garaging my car in my unheated garage while we snow bird in Florida. Biggest question is do they know they have to keep it charged up and what happens if they don't. They say they will have the car fully insured. As I'm typing this I think I will decline. What do you think? Attached are the incentives they offer.

Attached Files:

Daniel M W likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Emissions tests are a known thing. There's no "study" that needs to be done for them, nor any kind of prep work that would take multiple weeks. Sounds a bit scammy... Was it really sent from Honda?

4. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

There was a letter from Honda included with the letter from ATDS. I researched ATDS's website and they are legit. I also found a thread on a BMW forum where a guy got the same letter several years ago. He let them have his smaller BMW and the loaner car was a huge upgrade. They had his car for a couple of weeks and put about 50 miles on his car. He said it was a good experience. I'm going to give Honda automobile customer service and ATDS a call next week and ask them some questions. I was just wondering if anybody on this forum was knowledgeable of them and their service.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I, too, received this letter. I'm going to send in the paperwork to make our Clarity available for their tests, but with only 15K miles, I'm guessing they wouldn't be interested in testing our Clarity. They say they'll pay $599 and provide a rental car.

Richard_arch74 likes this.
  6. Hard to believe they don’t have the 1.5l engine “on the bench” for a variety of in house tests and software programming.

It’s probably legit, and it would seem odd, except we’re talking about Honda.

ATDS does have a dynamometer.

7. To remove this ad click here.