Electric car owners

Discussion in 'General' started by liviot, Apr 25, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. liviot

liviot New Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

We're too busy sharing our experiences with our EVs. Worse, I'm in the USA and not really interested in having to do units and currency conversion. Finally, without an offer to share the results ... why do I care?

Bob Wilson

turtleturtle and Domenick like this.
  4. bwilson4web

Caught up on my forums, I took the survey.

Compared to some, an inoffensive survey. It tries to measure our "green advocacy" versus our current ride. IMHO, it asked the wrong questions as I don't see the link between the two that the survey assumes. Given the built-in bias, I'm not sure the results are useful.

Due to the tone, I suspect the survey author does not own or drive an electric car. Non-EV owners perceive a much higher importance to "green" attitudes than owners and drivers of EV feel.

Bob Wilson

5. liviot

liviot New Member

Yeah, I totally see your point! :) If the perceived consumption values are higher for EV owners than for traditional cars (diesel-powered or gasoline-powered), then marketers can use this information to develop different strategies to encourage a smoother and quicker transition to electric vehicles. :) So, by filling in the survey, one can contribute to humanity in general.

6. liviot

liviot New Member

thank you a lot! I utilized the theory behind my research to guide the design of the survey and made some changes to the variables in order to gather relevant data. https://www.jagsheth.com/consumer-behavior/why-we-buy-what-we-buy-a-theory-of-consumption-values/#:~:text=These%20are%20functional%20value%2C%20social,of%20the%20five%20consumption%20values.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

Ok, that explains a lot and I see the mapping between survey design and the survey. But let me volunteer some "Functional Value" from this EV owner. These are just gentle suggestions.
    • History - I've owned Prius since October 2005, three of them, two Plug-in hybrids, and current 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus.
    • Service life - 270,000 mi, 70,000 mi (*), 16,000 mi (**), 90,000 mi (*), and 104,686 mi (*). The first had an unrepairable, brake booster failure. The others are to the best of my knowledge, still in service. The 16k mi Prius plug-in was traded in for my Tesla reducing the purchase price to $24,000.
    • Efficiency (operational costs) - The Prius gave 52-56 MPG, twice as efficient as our earlier gas cars. The Plug-In cars gave us electric efficiency around town, over 100 MPG cost per mile but lower efficiency on rare, longer trips. The Tesla is up to ~130 MPG cost per mile and eliminated all gas engine maintenance costs such as oil changes, air filters, and other gas maintenance.
    • Maintenance costs - The Prius had a very simple automatic transmission with nearly 100 times fewer moving parts compared to traditional hydro-mechanical ones. The Plug-In did not have a transmission but added a generator to sustain highway driving. The Tesla has 100 times fewer moving parts because there is no engine. I don't have to take the Tesla to a service center 'SPA' to wait on Servicing, Payment, and Access.
    • Fun - The Tesla is across a traffic light intersection before anyone else giving lane choice. I reach the speed limit about 100 meters ahead of the other traffic and smile as they try to catch up.
    Hope this helps.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
  9. liviot

liviot New Member

thanks a lot!! really helpful! :D

10. I also took the survey. I would also note (for those who may wonder) that there is no personal identifying information being requested. I hope that you get good data and best of luck with your thesis!

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. liviot

liviot New Member

thank you a lot! I really appreciate that! :) I have managed to gather already 70 respondents, which is already a good sign :)

andyG59 likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.