Efficiency with a Trailer - Kona 2019

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Chris Alemany, Jun 17, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hi all,

As we're preparing for our cross-canada during we took the car and trailer down to "Mile Zero" last weekend as a kind of shakedown and also so I could get an idea what to expect on mileage with the trailer and our family of four. The trailer is 400lbs/180kg and I estimated about 660lbs/300kg of extra people and cargo. Efficiency on the trip was calculated by ABRP at 5.0km/kWh.

I'll be tracking it on twitter with the hashtag #EVCrossCanada. You can see the mini thread with graphs and pictures and stats here:
    https://twitter.com/chrisalecanada/status/1535498236193935362

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Maybe consider changing the gearbox oil before leaving, a long journey with a loaded trailer might be hard on the drivetrain. Enjoy your trip;)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    Chris Alemany likes this.
  4. Lubed up!
    Actually speaking of wear on the car I am actually most worried about the Rockies, specifically the Icefields Parkway/Hwy93 between Jasper and Banff. Not so much for the weight on the car but the 327km between fast chargers from Jasper to Canmore if you don’t detour to Field. There are some L2s in Lake Louise and Banff but we have a 1000km driving day planned that day so it’d sure be nice to get to Canmore in one shot. There is also no cell service along the highway so ABRP won’t be much help recalculating mileage. It’s mostly downhill from Lake Louise, we’ll see how the mountain treats us!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    mtd and electriceddy like this.
  5. Which brings up the question:
    Why do we drive on a park way, and park on a drive way?
    :)