Door Edge Guard

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Brewer Fan, Jun 26, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Brewer Fan

Brewer Fan Member

As an extra, my dealer charge $299 for a door edge guard. I don’t know what it looks like and I don’t think I got it. Could someone post a photo? I have a message into my sales guy, he was terrific, but it’s Sunday so I thought maybe I’d get an answer here quicker. Thanks so much!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Do your self and save $299.

Attached Files:

rustybones likes this.
  4. Brewer Fan

Brewer Fan Member

I already paid for it, that was part of the dealer prep they charged. I just don’t think I got it that’s what I was asking what it looks like

5. ghost

ghost Active Member

The dealer put it on mine w/o me paying for it. When I picked up my SE, I told them they could take it off, but they elected to keep it on and give it to me for free.

Mine is clear ppf that just covers the edge of the doors. It's also on the rear bumper.

6. Brewer Fan

Brewer Fan Member

Could you please take a picture of it?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Amazon UK are charging $47.84 (£39) for the same thing (T5602 Cowles) and free delivery. ($14.95 on USA Amazon + $6.90 shipping + VAT)

9. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

Door edge guard is one of the many things some dealers add to the price of the car is that is nearly 100% profit. Pin stripes is another one. Sounds like you have a shady dealer.

10. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Why is the dealership shady if they sell something with a high profit margin? Remember Nancy, just say no.

11. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

You can't say no to some items that are already installed. It is also shady to charge $299 for something that costs them virtually nothing. If you say, "no, I don't want that", they will say it is already installed so you have to pay for it.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. jwzimm

jwzimm Active Member

In my case the dealer is requiring ~$2000 in dealer items anyway. Originally it was LoJack, the paint sealant stuff, and dealer prep. I put my foot down and said I do not want LoJack on my brand new EV so they offered to let me chose from some other dealer options (high margin stuff). I haven't finalized the paperwork yet so will still need to work out what all those will be. I am hoping I could just choose an extended warranty as that would be of the most value to me.

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

upload_2022-6-27_13-45-16.png

GvilleGuy likes this.
  15. ghost

ghost Active Member

It was the same schtick at my dealership: I told them I didn't want the lojack or the ppf, and they said they installed it already. They lojack they can turn off, but they didn't want to hassle taking off the ppf, so they let me have it for free.
    PXL_20220627_173457143.MP.jpg

SameGuy likes this.
  16. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I would ask for a refund on the deposit and find another dealer. You can pick any dealership you want and then have the car delivered.

17. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

"virtually nothing?" Is that like virtual currency? "so you have to pay for it?" says who? This is a free market. If the buyer doesn't like it, he/she can not go through with the deal

18. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Take the long-term view, you won't be spending that money on needing any vehicle maintenance. While I don't like the tactics your dealer is using, I'm willing to spend a bit more through my dealer because they treat me well. I figure I can pay a little bit to help them transition to a non-ICE service model.

jwzimm likes this.
  19. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383188527562
    $12 for 50ft. At a minimum, you could do 5 cars for $12 so $2.40 per car.

You "have to pay for it" if you want the car with it already installed. I wouldn't buy the car from them just like you suggested.

20. BackPack

BackPack Member

I would have made them take it off. That looks awful.

21. BackPack

BackPack Member

My local dealer was requiring the same thing. It was stuff I am going to add anyway (ceramic coating and window tint), but their price was much higher than my local installer. They also couldn’t provide any details on the products they would use. I told them I was willing to buy the car at MSRP without those add-ons and they refused. They told me all their cars come in that way since the items are added at the port. So I went outside my local market and found another dealer who sold it to me at MSRP with no add-ons. I now have a 100 mile trip home from the dealer instead of a 20 mile trip, but that’s ok. Car should be here in early July.

Interestingly, both dealers are Penske dealers.

JonR, insightman and GvilleGuy like this.
  22. It also effects the aerodynamics of the car. Minor yes, but still causes a change from the design.

23. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    @insightman has more, uh, insight on this, but I remember early hypermilers driving the first mass-market, Kammback economy cars using every little aero tweak they could imagine, including using speed tape over body seams and otherwise skeuomorphic design features, to gain every aero advantage. I think gen-1 Insight drivers pushed that envelope, and it continued to an extent in Europe and Canada with the miserly smart fortwo cdi (a 1600 lb roll cage on wheels powered by a three-pot, 799 cc turbodiesel) as they realized it was capable of 100 mpg as well. But car design has come a long way since the Chevy Citation and Honda CR-X, and CAD has allowed even mundane designs drag coefficients that were almost unthinkable just 30 years ago.

Rexsio and insightman like this.