Does your household rely solely on EVs?

Discussion in 'General' started by ITown, Jul 9, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

Do you own any ICE/gas cars?

1. My household has multiple EVs and no ICE cars

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. My household has at least 1 EV and at least 1 ICE car

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. My household has multiple ICE cars and no pure EVs

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. My household has 1 car (EV)

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  5. My household has 1 car (ICE)

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. ITown

ITown Active Member

I'm curious to know how common it is to drive an EV without having a gas car as a backup option.

BTW, "plug in hybrids" are ICE vehicles for the purpose of this poll.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I have a 2016 Sonata PHEV with a piece of junk, unreliable gas engine, and a 24 year old Toyota Pickup that's not used much.

You would think making a reliable gas engine wouldn't be be hard in this day, but Hyundai just can't get it together.

I've been considering a used Nissan Leaf to replace the Sonata, but I'm not wild about limitations with CHadeMO. Nissan should have gone with CCS in 2018, but they are idiots.

4. As of last Thurs, we now have only two EVs, a Solterra and the Ioniq 6. Our previous Crosstrek (great vehicle BTW) got passed down to our 16 year old grandson. Also have 3 e-bikes and an electric boat motor at the lake for trolling around on a small boat. We have an abundance of off grid solar power there, so can make good use of electric vehicles. We charge our Solterra there, too.

5. I have my F150 lighting which is my only street legal vehicle. I also have a Porsche 914-6 race car but haven't raced in several years. I am seriously considering converting it to an electric touring car. But I may wait until the Porsche electric Cayman comes out and get that. I also have a 65 Ford Ranchero I am restoring. I am also deciding on a drive train for it. Neither the Porsche or the Rancheo are backups for the F 150 Lightning.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Thank you for anticipating my question about if a PHEV is considered an ICE car. I checked the at least 1 EV and 1 ICE, but I would have preferred to check a box for 1 EV and 1 PHEV. Because we typically fill our Clarity PHEV's 7-gallon tank just once a year, it's essentially an EV.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

1 EV and 2 ICE cars. Main drive is a 2018 40kwh Leaf used for self employment. I have a 24 year old Saturn which is a sentimental keepsake and a 2012 Hyundai Tucson which came along with a sibling who came to live with me. The ICE vehicles hardly get used and my mechanic was wagging his finger that the brakes were rusting away on both ICE cars due to lack of use.

So, I'm taking the ICE cars on most of my long distance excursions now which at least eliminates the stops for charging and it helps keep the mileage down on the Leaf. If I hadn't inherited the Tucson I would have traded the Leaf by now for a higher range vehicle as I wouldn't want to press the old Saturn into regular service. It makes no economic sense right now to change this set up and the Leaf is a really nice car.

Mark W likes this.
  9. Hi ITown, five years ago we got the first EV and drove it as well as an ICE car for three years. Then we replaced the ICE car with the second EV, and have only been to gas stations for carwashes ever since. As well as daily use around the local region, the Konas are good for extensive road trips. In the past year my son and my business partner each have started to borrow one the them for long trips rather than take their own ICE cars, for economic, environmental, and sheer driving pleasure reasons.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
  10. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Bolt EV + Mini SE here. No gas at all (including lawn mower). I had a PHEV for years. A CMax Energi with about 20 miles of electric range. My commute is so short, plus I can charge at work, so that we never burned gas even with the short range. As CCS infrastructure grew, we got to the point where every road trip was with the Bolt and not the CMax.

When the SE was announced in 2020, I was very excited about it. My wife convinced me to put down a deposit. In 2021, the SE arrived and we sold the CMax.

At first it was a bit of an adventure but traveling with a CCS car keeps getting easier every year. This past weekend I put over 560 miles on my “110” mile SE. I only had issues at one charger; EVolve NY in Middletown.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

ITown likes this.
  11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

MINI started delivering SEs in 2020. July 19, 2019 was the day MINI announced the MINI Cooper SE--and revealed that, unlike the pre-production prototypes, it would have a skeuomorphic, fake hood scoop.

I ordered my Iconic SE in August, 2019, the first day my local dealer would let me. It arrived 51 weeks later. One week after that its hood scoop was gone. I offered my OEM hood on ebay for $1, but nobody wanted it. I've owned many small sports cars over the last 50 years and this is by far my favorite.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I'm a 1 EV/2 ICE at the moment, but not for long. I've got a MINI Cooper SE, but in about 2 months I will take delivery of an F-150 Lightning (scheduled for production mid-August) which will replace my F-350 and MINI Cooper Clubman S (our other daily driver). Although I may need to hang on to the F-350 for plowing unless I can come up with an alternative plowing solution.

ITown and Fastnf like this.
  14. Your going to love the Lightning. Its a great truck. I have had mine for 5 months now. I would think you could plow with the lightning with the right set of tires. I have used mine to pull tree stumps, it certainly has the torque for it.

15. Next month will be five years since we went all electric in August 2018. That is very uncommon where I live. Based on our almost daily bike rides compared to the houses we pass in our neighborhood, we are the only all-electric household. I started paying attention to that back in 2019 when I volunteered in the Plug In America Independence Day EV count and then again in 2020 and 2021.
    https://pluginamerica.org/2021-independence-day-ev-count-results/
    In those years we were the only house in the neighborhood (of 200 or so houses) with a BEV in the driveway. Now, just in the last year, a couple of other driveways have one BEV with one ICE.

16. Puppethead

Alas, no. See my post about F-150 Lightning plowing (with video explanation not by me). Ford moved the radiator right where the plow brackets would mount, to make room for the frunk. The vehicle is capable, but nobody's making the proper attachment stuff for it (yet).

17. My mistake. I was thinking of plowing a field as opposed to plowing snow. As in pulling a disk over a field. You are correct. Currently there aren't any good option for snow plowing with a lightning.

Currently seeing triple digit temps and not thinking much about snow. Though it would be nice to have some.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
  18. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

In the process of buying a backup, BMW i3-REx. Because the EV range, 100 mi, is greater than the gas range, 60 mi, I will call it an EV:
    • EV - EV range greater thane ICE range (ie California rules)
    • ICE - ICE range greater than EV range
    Since the sale is in progress, only one EV, Tesla Model 3 with 114,000 miles.

Bob Wilson

19. Puppethead

:) That's what my tractor is for. Does that count as an ICE vehicle? The survey says "cars"...

20. ITown

ITown Active Member

For my survey, I'm only counting vehicles used for transportation purposes. If the vehicle is only used for plowing, it doesn't count :)

I'm driving an EV only, with no ICE car. Although, my girlfriend has a gas car, so whenever we combine households, my answer will change. :eek:

Only time being an EV-only household has been a problem has been going to really remote areas like Death Valley, which I went to in April. Although there are a few chargers in Death Valley, there aren't any fast chargers, and there aren't nearly enough for it to be a dependable charging option.

bwilson4web likes this.
  21. bwilson4web

When I get my 2017 BMW i3-REx, I must call it an EV that carries an ICE powered generator ... a portable fast DC charger that maintains 70 mph, constant battery. Lacking an ICE transmission, it is not an ICE. Rather it is an EV that carries a dedicated, fast DC charger.

Bob Wilson

22. Puppethead

Those are the kinds of situations where a car rental may be a good option. At least until the rental companies convert their fleets to EVs due to improved operating costs.

23. bwilson4web

There is a sweet spot for each approach. I need to go 850 mi to Palm Beach FL to pickup a 2017 BMW i3-REx to drive back:
    • $190 - Saturday, red-eye flight from Huntsville to Palm Beach FL.
    • $184 - One way, one day, car rental including expected gas cost.
    I'll fly down and drive back.

Bob Wilson