Displayed EV range when fully charged

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ClarityChris, Dec 28, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ClarityChris

ClarityChris New Member

I just purchased a "new" (it had about 99 miles on it) 2018 Clarity PIH right before Christmas. After completing the first full charge this morning, the EV range displayed indicates 41 miles. I know that the EPA rating is 47 on a full charge. Should I be concerned that I purchased a "new" vehicle with a degraded battery, or is the "41" EV range displayed normal?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

Congrats on your purchase! It's a wonderful vehicle.

This is a (very) FAQ. EV range is an estimate based on recent driving, affected by temperature, use of heater, etc. EV range will be highest in mildest weather with moderate driving style, 10-20% lower in extremes.

Sent using Inside EVs mobile app

4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Don’t panic yet. It needs a couple of driving cycles to better estimate your particular range. And as @ClarityDoc mentioned, cold is a range killer due to its effect on battery chemistry and the added drain of heater use. You will see your best EV range in the summer. Cold weather range reduction is the dirty little secret of BEVs.
    Can you share what your temps are and how fast you drive on EV? Amid how much cabin heat/defroster you use? High speed is also a range reducer.

If you are concerned about your battery health you can have your dealer run the Battery Capacity Signal. It should be 55 Ah or very close. It was supposed to be done predelivery per Service Bulletin 17-093. Mine wasn’t done and by showing my dealer the SB, they cheerfully ran it and ordered the underbody plugs that weren’t installed.
    I attached the SB so you can see what was supposed to be done. Also has a lot of good info.

Attached Files:

Viking79 likes this.
  5. ClarityChris

ClarityChris New Member

Thanks for the information so far! I have barely started driving the vehicle, but when I have done it, the temperature has been between 40 to 63 maybe. (I'm around the Los Angeles area.)

6. ozy

ozy Active Member

Is it possible to see these "body plugs"? I'm not sure if mine were installed either.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Here is the PDI (Service Bulletin 17-093) that shows their position on p 5.
    You have to really get down close to the ground to see them as the front ones are a little inboard and the rear ones are directly behind the pinch weld of the body panel jacking point.

Attached Files: