Deposit refund for Tesla if a long delay?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by NocEdit, Dec 1, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. NocEdit

NocEdit Member

How accurate are the Tesla delivery estimates? I'd like to put $250 down on a Model 3 to guarantee a place in line this June 2022. But we might really need a new car by fall 2022 and won't want to wait much longer than that. If Tesla delays my pre-order beyond summer 2022 can I get my money back if I have to say go buy another car instead?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I don't know but would suggest subscribing to one or more Tesla forums. I use "Tesla Owners Online" because of the technical content and Canadian 'nice' moderators.

Bob Wilson

4. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

Thanks for info on this forum

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. RLove

RLove New Member

We ordered a Model 3 in November for December delivery, it has continually been pushed back until a May delivery as of now. We spent Saturday looking for a used 3 to fill the gap until the new one comes in since my wife's '07 Lexus has issues. The used one we liked is a '18 with 25K on the clock and prices out at $49K...nearly the same price as our new one. We considered buying it and selling one of them when hers comes in, but decided to avoid the hassle and live with sharing my truck and me driving my classic S2000 when needed. Good Luck with your decision, but I wouldn't count on a June delivery.

6. NocEdit

NocEdit Member

We put a VW Id4 deposit down a few weeks ago. But it seems the Tesla Model 3 long range are available by April… only 2 months away. They only cost $5k more than the standard range so if we can’t wait that seems like the better option for us. It’s AWD and dual motor too for hardly much more. Anyone else find better luck ordering the long range in terms of shorter wait time?

Seems they are steering people toward the higher profit margin model 3s. Even making you upgrade the wheels to sport hub caps instead of aero saves you like 4+ months on delivery time.

Was your Model 3 selection the cheapest base model with aero tires? They seem to be giving upgraded tire model 3s much shorter wait times.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. RLove

RLove New Member

The Long Range AWD is what we have on order - since November, and the delivery is (at present) late May...but it moves out every two weeks too. WE're getting the black wheel covers because I'm upgrading the wheels to after-market ones.

9. NocEdit

NocEdit Member

Wow, that sucks! So the estimates sound like total lies. Because it says if I order a Tesla Model 3 long range today it would arrive by April. If yours is still in cue since November that seems odd.

RLove likes this.
  10. NocEdit

NocEdit Member

I’m just kinda shocked by the demand for cars. When the pandemic hit I started working from home and we thought about selling our 2nd car cause we only technically needed one. Fast forward 2 years and I’m still working from home. My industry has basically moved permanently remote. Honestly if our 2nd car was a little bigger and safer we wouldn’t be in the market at all. I might just consider selling our over-inflated 2013 Accent and leasing a safer car until this mess is over. We can almost get $10k for a car we paid $16k for 9 years ago! It’s kinda nuts!

11. RLove

RLove New Member

Update on delivery...while we were driving three hours to look at a Ioniq5 our Tesla order updated. What had started as a December delivery, (after the order was placed in November) and moved out to May, has now moved back to mid/late-March. Nice surprise! Still no VIN yet which is supposed to be the sign that you're a month out - so if it comes in the next ten days I'll believe it.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. RLove

RLove New Member

Here's an update on the wait for our Model 3. Ordered in November for a December delivery. The date moved out to January- February, then February-March, then March-April, then April-May. We decided to look at the Ioniq5, and while on the drive to test drive it our date moved back to early to late March. We put my wife's Lexus up for sale since a VIN was (supposedly) imminent, and it sold for asking price almost immediately, leaving us with my truck and my S2000 that I was getting ready to sell. Now today, the estimated delivery date has moved back out to April 19th - May 17th...this is bull$hit. :mad:

MzTeaze likes this.
  14. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I guess with Covid and war you don't count of getting what you order until it shows up at your door.

15. RLove

RLove New Member

So after writing about being jerked around by Tesla, the delivery date has changed yet again - just one day later. Now it's back to a range of March 20 to March 31.

16. BZV

BZV New Member

any update on this?

17. RLove

RLove New Member

So, we took delivery of our Model 3 late March. It's great but takes some getting used to after never having anything like this before. The acceleration is just breathtaking...I try and not speed around too much, but having that instant torque on tap is really nice when you need it. Fit and finish seems to be great. I detailed it and put a graphene coating on almost instantly, had the windows tinted and bought the wheel trim kit so the wheel covers are off, and I think it looks much better although I understand that with them it extends your range 10%. My poor pickup hasn't been driven in weeks even though this is my wife's car. :rolleyes:

18. bwilson4web

Which one?

Bob Wilson

19. RLove

RLove New Member

Long Range AWD

bwilson4web likes this.
  20. bwilson4web

From memory:
    • Autopilot - took me three weeks before I became comfortable. Traffic light and stop sign sort of works but I don't care for it. It still alarms too loud so use it solo for now.
    • Chill mode - tends to smooth out the accelerator to avoid jerky operation
    Bob Wilson

21. RLove

RLove New Member

I've tried Autopilot but think I'd only use it on a long highway trip...if I have to keep pressure on the steering wheel I may as well be driving. May be my wife would like Chill mode since she is still kind of jerky getting used to one pedal driving. Modulating the pedal and lifting at the right time to come to exactly where I want to stop is my game to play while driving.

bwilson4web likes this.