Cutting hole in wall to fit charge cord through?

Discussion in 'General' started by Nate4surf, Dec 11, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Nate4surf

Nate4surf New Member

Hi all. I have a focus 2017 with a level 2 charger. Right now it goes under garage door and that’s not great for reasons such as pinch, air flow and yes, rodents. Has anyone cut a hole in their wall to fish the cord through? The hole will be big enough to get the charge handle through so I’d like to know if there’s a rubber gasket or something to line the hole with to be tighter around the cord since the hole will be bigger than the cord. Thanks!

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I have thought of it, but I decided getting an outside outlet would be much easier, and not a lot more expensive. And will preserve the door for the next person who might not want a gasket-covered hole.

4. When I changed my electrical service to 200 A, I moved the meter to the side of the house leaving the old "boxed in framework" from the old recessed meter base. I cut a hinged lid with 1" insulation on the back and a 4" hole beneath the hinged cover through the wall located beside the EVSE inside the house by the new panel. It works perfectly, and if it is cold I will stuff a piece of pre cut formed insulation around the cord so no air can get in. From the outside it looks normal and one would never guess it is an outlet for the EVSE cord. Best seen form outside this (the third) picture:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/modifications-and-tweaks.5009/page-6#post-61741:)

mho and Fastnf like this.