Check Engine Light with no codes

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Randy Stegbauer, Dec 6, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. When it gets cold out, say below 40F, when I start my 2018 Clarity, I get the message "Emissions System Problem" on my dashboard and the Check Engine light appears. I can clear the message with the button on the steering wheel and the car operates normally.

I took it to the dealer and of course, it's warmer that day and the dash message doesn't appear. They did see the check engine light, but didn't find any codes when scanning! How is that possible. When would the CE light appear and no codes saved?

Frustrated,
    Randy

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

I have a similar issue with random brake warning lights. They've said they can only pull it while showing which seems odd bc I can pull an OBDI code after the fact...

4. Have you presented the code to the dealer?

5. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Randy Stegbauer and insightman like this.
  6. The dealer said that if the fault clears itself over three restarts, then the car automatically clears itself and forgets that it ever happened. I think this is nuts, but reality. So I have two options. Take the car to the dealer when it's happening, or take it to an AutoZone and let them scan it.

I would do it myself, but those cheap OBD scanners don't work with my phone. :-(

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I would opt to take it to the dealer whle it is happening. Make sure you don't turn off the car when you arrive at the dealer. If / while it has a code, the dealer will be able to retreive it, and it will be on record there (at a place where they can presumable actually fix this)... AutoZone is fine for a DIY person who wants to fix it themselves, but this one is a dealer 'fix' in my judgement !

Randy Stegbauer likes this.