Charging Faults at home

Discussion in 'General' started by sphopen, Mar 29, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. sphopen

sphopen New Member

Hi,

I have a 2019 Kona EV and I've been having persistent charging issues at home the last few days. The car has received the latest software updates from Hyundai.

1) I tried to charge with Mustart Level 2 Charger I own plugged into a professionally installed 220V 40A outlet on the oustide of my home. Charging won't begin and the charger shows "Err: LD" which according to Mustart means "electrical leakage"
    2) I tried to charge with the Hyundai provided Level 1 Charger on a standard 120 V outlet on the exterior of my building and it tends to cause a circuit trip after about 4-5 hours of charging.

Up until a few days ago everything had been working fine for the previous 6 months. Both chargers have been stored in the car or indoors when not in use and seem to only have minimal wear and tear. I have no charging schedule set or the like.

What is happening!?

Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

4. sphopen

sphopen New Member

Hi,

For now I have an appointment for the dealer to look at the Car and Mustart has done some digging with me and offered a warranty model.

Yes, that is indeed me!

It's weird though because before I got my L2 charger I used the L1 charger that came with the car for a few weeks in the same configuration on the same outlet last summer with no issues.

I ran an errand and use the car briefly on a Chargepoint L2 charger for a few minutes without issue, but didn't have time to see if it would short the circuit.

5. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Totally believe you on the circuit not tripping before. Dedicated load on a 15a circuit can eventually wear the breaker. If it trips several hours in, it “should” be because it’s overloading under load. You could try to replace the breaker, which is pretty cheap and quick.

I would do a long L2 charge at a public charger and see if it faults there.

Let us know what the dealership says!

6. sphopen

sphopen New Member

Update:

Car has worked at 2 different public L2 chargers for about 40-90min without issues. Additionally, worked without issue at a Electrify America L3 station for 30 min.

Mustart offered to warranty the L2 portable charger that started this investigation and that arrives this week.

turtleturtle likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. sphopen

sphopen New Member

Update 2:

Mustart sent me a new L2 portable charger and it appears to be working.

End of story!

turtleturtle and Puppethead like this.