Charging connector question…

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by miatadan, Jan 18, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

With the Mazda MX30 EV, when vehicle is locked, charging door is also locked.
    When charging, the charging cable is also locked, so it can not be removed unless I unlocked the car.

Is it the same for Tesla Model 3. I hope when charging overnight, charging cable is also locked, same for charger door.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Yes it is the same. When any Tesla is connected to a charger the connector is locked to the vehicle. If you are using a non-Tesla charging connector and the adapter, however, only the adapter is locked to the vehicle - but you can find locking "rings" from various online sources that will lock the adapter to a J1772 connector.

I don't understand what you mean about locking the charging door: When connected to a charging cable, the flap over the charging port is open and cannot be closed. If a Tesla is NOT charging, the flap over the charging port is locked and can be opened only with the Tesla app, from the vehicle's screen or by pressing the button on the charger's connector. If a Tesla is unlocked, the charging flap can be opened by tapping on it.

miatadan and bwilson4web like this.
  4. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

I have a 2024 Tesla model 3 on order. When I had the 2022 Mustang Mach E , charger door does not lock or actual charger when charging.

The Mazda MX30 charging door stays locked when car is locked.

This is why I am asking about the model 3.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Then I hope my response provided the information you needed! To recap: The charge port covers on all Tesla vehicles are locked until the vehicle is unlocked and then can be opened in a number of different ways. All Tesla-made charging connectors (NACS) have a button that signals the charging port to open or you can used the app, the main screen or simply touching the port cover - so long as the vehicle is unlocked.

Because the connector locks to the vehicle you have to signal it to stop charging before the connector will be released. This is done by using the app, the main screen or the button on the connector.

There's also a manual release for the charging port cover inside the rear of the vehicle.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If the Tesla's doors are locked, does the button on the connector halt charging and allow the connector to be removed?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

No - unless the vehicle identifies the driver by recognizing their phone-as-key or by the driver using their key card on the B pillar the charging connector cannot be released from the vehicle by pressing the button on the connector.

Sidebar: If you're charging a Tesla at a CCS charger (using an adapter) you can stop charging on the CCS kiosk and remove the connector from the vehicle, but the adapter stays locked to the Tesla until you tell the Tesla to stop charging. The same goes for charging a Tesla at a J1772 L2 charger. This is why it's important to invest in 3rd-party locking rings that don't allow the CCS or J1772 connectors to release from the adapters.

To answer the question you didn't ask, a stranger cannot remove a connector from a charging Tesla, even if the charging cycle has completed.

bwilson4web and insightman like this.
  9. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

ID 4 you can set to lock or auto unlock

10. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Question: What is the benefit - or use case - for having an unlocked charging cable?

My previous vehicle - a PHEV - had only a J1772 port, but the connector had a manual lock to the port - the port did not lock the connector into itself. The Tesla connector (NACS) doesn't feature a manual locking device.

11. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

with auto unlock I dont need to grab the fob out of my pocket and unlock in the morning, charger /evse just unplugs.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Ah! It's been only six months and already I've forgotten about using fobs and such! :) The only time I use the key-card is when I'm washing the car, otherwise it's the phone.

14. OneEV

OneEV Member Subscriber

Yeah for the ID 4 anyways key fob or phone