Burning Odor

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by CharlesBranch, Jul 1, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. A couple of weeks ago on a Saturday, I noticed a burning odor when I started my Ioniq5. The odor was similar to the odor of burning insulation on an electric motor. I called my dealer to arrange for a checkup, and they said the next appointment was in August. When pressed, they said I could bring it Monday but might have to wait a couple of hours. I took it in, and after several hours they told me that they could find nothing wrong. Since then I have noticed the odor several times when I first get in in the morning. It seems to be more noticeable when the HVAC fans turn on, and it dissipates after a few minutes. Has anyone else noticed this, and should I press the dealer to look into it further?

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I believe in the USA the Ionic 5 RWD version forgo the heat pump, while the AWD includes that feature.
    (Canada gets HP in all but the lowest trim level)
    If you indeed have a RWD version, (and the same may occur in cool temps in the AWD version until the HP cuts in), it is possible the PTC resistive heater came on briefly, burning off dust or accumulated debris from manufacture.
    If the smell goes away I would not have a concern, if it persists then I would have the techs investigate further.

ScubaSteve and Domenick like this.
  4. My car is a RWD SE model. The burning odor (like burning electric wires) is still noticeable. It seems to come from the HVAC outlet, and I only notice it first thing in the morning after it has been sitting a day or two. I don't notice it if I stop and restart during the day, but that could be just my getting acclimated to the odor.
    I have had into the dealer twice, and both times they have told me they could not find anything. The second time was after I experienced a dead 12 volt battery, which is described in another post. Has anybody else experienced a burning odor from the HVAC outlet in the Ioniq 5 or any other EV? And could it be related to the dead 12 volt battery issue?

5. Bob Nagy

Bob Nagy New Member

The odor is likely burn-off from the resistive heating element. Given that, it should become less and less and eventually disappear.
    Very fresh components will have more volatile manufacturing chemicals in them - than ones that have naturally bled their constituent residual manufacturing chemicals into the atmosphere -by just sitting there at ambient temperature over time. On the 12V battery, current drain from car system "needs" while the vehicle is off- are landing up draining the 12V battery in some situations. This can likely be cured with firmware updates. If not, it would be a small recall mod. With a clamp-on current probe, one could read the current draw while the car is "off". Likely the battery is about 50 amp/hours capacity and doesn't like to be drained under about 25%. Clamp the meter around the positive wire line off the 12V battery and read DC current. It will very likely be in the milliamp range. ie: Reads 700 ma. So 24 hours X .7 amps = 16.8 amp hours each day. If the main battery was unable to top-off the 12V battery while the car is "off", then the 12V battery would be depleted to 25% in 4.5 days (4.5 X 16.8= 75.6%) I would expect that the "off" 12V current drain should be less than 500ma...giving it more than a week.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022