Broken passenger mirror?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by JoeJeJoe, Sep 2, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JoeJeJoe

JoeJeJoe New Member

Had a shelf fall that the previous resident installed. Hit the mirror and broke the center support. Visited a few auto body shops and they want near 1k just to fix mirror. They said it comes in as a package so and can’t get the part that is broken. Anyone know how to get this thing apart so I can see about finding one from a different car or j-b welding the plastic?

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Timbomac

Timbomac New Member

I broke the same part a while back. Best bet is to but the whole mirror assembly and replace yourself. I bought a replacement for like 350 and replaced - pretty simple. You’ll need to re-aim the camera too, which the dealer should do for free as it requires a special aiming sign with some dots to recalibrate but it’s pretty easy to replace. There’s a previous thread with details - happy to help more if you can’t find it...

insightman and Louis Nisenbaum like this.
  4. JoeJeJoe

JoeJeJoe New Member

I found your thread. Thank you. My initial search didn’t find it but DuckDuckGo did. I’ll read through all the posts and see what I find. May try to just pop off the top and see what I have. My neighbor, in jest, told me to just pour concrete in there but may look at that if I get upset enough at it... I can always file a claim but 1k is hard to hand over for something so small.

5. Timbomac

Timbomac New Member

Completely understand and agree. I’m not sure you’ll have much luck “fixing” the post. It’s spring loaded and cementing it on will prevent it from turning. I too tried to cement it in place not worrying much about losing the ability to rotate the mirror. I used a pretty strong epoxy to do it but it broke in another spot soon after that (the initial break caused weakness in the whole structure, one fixed spot led to pressure in another compromised area)

bottom line is, Hondapartsnow.com has an entire assembly for under 400. It’s pretty easy to swap. Disassembling the mirror into parts will take you down a rabbit hole of frustration, fragile plastic clips, and more issues... like the inability to reattach the mirror piece back onto the posts which control the movement of the mirror for example...

6. JoeJeJoe

JoeJeJoe New Member

thank you for the advice. What item is required? The one that looks like I would need is near 600 but there is a bunch listed.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Timbomac

Timbomac New Member

Sorry. You’re right, it’s closer to 600... perhaps I pushed that out of my memory due to the nightmare I had trying to repair and mess with it then ultimately just replacing the mirror. Sigh. Sorry... here’s the link. Make sure you have the correct side.
    https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~0~76208-trv-a02.html

9. genes

genes New Member

It seems that someone realized how easy it is to snap these mirrors.
    It looks like I had a passer by snap mine off and kept on walking, I have called the dealer and they say that they see these mirrors asked for often. I am wondering if someone had found this flaw and for some reason rips them off.
    Mine was snapped off but left hanging.
    To me seems that its a poor design and Honda could have allowed the ability to replace the mechanism rather than making us buy the whole mirror. $813 retail plus labor.
    I am pissed off that I am stuck with a huge bill on a car like this, Have I had bought a regular Honda, there would have been plenty of aftermarket parts not to mention, the design for other Hondas had such weak point where it would be so easy to snap.
    This puts me off buying another Clarity in the future.

10. Could use comprehensive insurance if low deductible for mirror.

11. genes

genes New Member

Let's say the deductible is $500, so I pay 500, and the rest is paid by the insurance.
    That will likely increase the cost of insurance by 5-20% as studies claim, at $2000 a year, and a 10% increase, that's $200 a year, so a year in, I am already 700 out of pocket. In case of 20%, I would pay the whole mirror as is. Why use insurance for that.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Most instance is for catastrophic events. The small stuff incentivizes us to go out of pocket.

14. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Do comprehensive claims cause insurance premiums to increase?

15. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Yes. Even if you’re not at fault in an accident, your insurance can go up because you may be a riskier driver to ensure based on driving habits.

It’s not fair, but it’s how it works.