Bluetooth on Android Phone and Google maps

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by RV-CAR, Feb 24, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. RV-CAR

RV-CAR New Member

I have a Galaxy S8 and I paired it to my Base Clarity with Bluetooth.

1) I connect it with a USB cable to the USB port closer to the driver's side. I can enable Android Auto, Google maps and use it on the Car panel directly. Sound also comes thru car speakers. Everything is ok.

2) I connect it with a USB cable but to a USB jack plugged into the Accessory power socket. I use google maps on my phone and select a destination. But no sound comes from the phone or the car speakers. Phone is still paired to car through Bluetooth. I made sure that the setting in Google maps/Settings/Navigation setting/"Play voice over Bluetooth" is selected.

3) I do not use USB cable at all but just keep Bluetooth pairing enabled. I use google maps on my phone and select a destination. As in the above case no sound comes from the phone or the car speakers. I made sure that the setting in Google maps/Settings/Navigation setting/"Play voice over Bluetooth" is selected.

Do you know how I can get 2 and 3 to work i.e. be able to hear voice thru the phone or thru the car speakers? I am not that fond of Android Auto as it kind of takes over my phone and sometimes I just use the phone in a holder on the dash.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I feel the same as you about Android Auto taking over my phone. I really don't seen the benefit of Android Auto except the map can be displayed on the Clarity tablet.

Sorry I don't have a fix suggestion for you. I just want you to know that when I use my phone via Bluetooth with the car the sound does come out of the car speakers.

I didn't even know about the "Play voice over Bluetooth" setting and therefore have not set it. Perhaps turning it off might be a good test.

4. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

I have not tried to use google maps directly on the phone, but only through Android Auto. I have a Clarity base model and a Galaxy S7edge. When I am driving locally, I don't use AA because I don't need the maps. I do listen to podcasts and audio books using just bluetooth and it works just fine. I don't usually have the phone plugged in because I am not going far enough to need the charge.

Two things that you have probably checked already, but that have caught me out in the past.
    1. make sure the sound icon on the google map display on the phone is turned to on.
    2. make sure that the volume on the car audio is turned up loud enough.
    (There has been a lot of frustration and swearing at times in the past because one of these things was not adjusted properly.)

If I can remember, I will experiment with using google maps on the phone w/o AA and see what happens.

5. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

I believe some cars do not accept Bluetooth navigation prompts. Google maps on iOS has a second setting for “voice as phone call” in order to override this. It changes the way the phone processes the navigation prompts so the car will accept them on Bluetooth. Not sure if Android has the same toggle. IMG_0405.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KentuckyKen likes this.
  6. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

You may also want to confirm that your phone is paired for both media and telephony. When checking your pairing in settings, there should be icons with a musical not as well as a phone. You can enable/disable one or the other by touching the icon. Because android auto uses a combination of USB and Bluetooth, it may have changed these settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Daniel M W

Daniel M W Member

In the 2 or 3 option, you have to do what you post and you have to select bluetooth in the source. Remember to raise the volume from the phone to the max setting. That way it works for me on an s9. If the audio source is on radio or xm or a different option, it will not play the voice instructions from google.