BlueKonaEV is now FloridaSun!

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Jul 17, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Decided on asking Domenick to change my forum name to something not car specific as I usually change EVs every 2 - 3 years.. I use this name on other Forums too, so I thought that it was a good choice as I don't need to change it every time I change cars.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

It is understandable to use one username.
    I kept my username from 2007 ( miatadan ) as that was based on my 2007 Miata which was by far out of the ICE cars I owned was the most fun to drive.

Hope you enjoy your new car

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. I like the new handle better.
    I chose "Magic Smoke" because it applies to everything electronic including EVs that I work with, and because I'm an EE.

Once you let the Magic Smoke out, there's no going back.

FloridaSun and arhnold like this.
  5. FloridaSun

I used to be the top poster on the Corvetteforum.. Owned about 15 Vettes over the years.. I'm still GrandSportC3 on there..
    Absolutely love the Model Y, but I still see the Kona EV as the best EV value out there.. Sure, the Model Y is better than the Kona in every aspect BUT at twice the price..

6. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

One key difference that kept me out of the Tesla market was their effective *requirement* that
    you constantly suckle the mothership teat, or perish. With the Kona [and a little bit of work] I can
    keep myself free of that, and they never set it forth as mandatory in the first place.

If you're content with your forced indenture, then enjoy...

_H*

Danhen and John Lumsden like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

So what does this have to do with OP subject changing name?
    And why the general Tesla hate... I see here.

Dan

9. FloridaSun

It does have it's advantages and disadvantages that you are that tied to Tesla.. OTA updated are wonderful but that's really the only positive thing from it.. If the Kona jas OTA updates, I would have saved countless visits to my local Hyundai dealer..

10. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

Why are some so sensitive to the least little negative comment about Tesla? Like every other manufacturer, Tesla is not exactly perfect.

OzKona likes this.
  11. FloridaSun

Most Tesla owners will agree.. Tesla is still a fairly new auto maker and they have issues, especially with customer service, servicing etc.. Most Tesla owners can overlook those shortcomings because the cars are awesome.. I have never has as much fun with a car than the Tesla in more than one ways..
    Of course, the reason I got the car was for the extra space, towing ability and Supercharger Network which are all AWESOME!! Those who have never been in a Model Y will be surprised how much interior space and legroom this mid size Crossover SUV has.. The cargo capacity is also amazing and I can probably carry more luggage than most full size SUV's. The Supercharger Network just works and all you need to do is to plug in. The entertainment system on the Tesla is from another planet.. I can even replace my horn sound with a loud fart or La Cucaracha or I can add a driving sound on the exterior speaker like an Ice Cream Truck sound to drive the kids in the neighborhood crazy. Performance, even in my long range AWD is amazing.. You can even leave most Vettes in the dust at the light. Of course, Tesla does have quality issues and customer service issues (what Customer Service?).
    I never received any replies to my e-mails when I e-mailed order-support... Tesla is not perfect. They have issues. Yes, you are tied to them more than you would be tied to your car maker of any other brand.. All true and all valid concerns..

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

While Tesla has some huge advantages, one of things that concerns me I rarely hear mentioned.

Once you are out of warranty you are near 100% at their mercy for repairs and what the repairs will cost as they won't sell parts to and share service info with independent garages. If you want your car repaired you have to pay whatever they say and you have no recourse.

And I found out on the Model Y and 3 Tesla won't sell you an extended warranty.

Overall my sister has had a very good experience with her Model S, and I was this close to ordering a Y. But then she showed me what she had to endure when the main screen failed on her out of warranty.

Not only was her car out of service for several weeks awaiting parts, when she asked for an explanation of the $9200 cost, all she could get from Tesla was "that's what it costs, do you want us to proceed with the repair?"

Obviously they were fully aware she had no alternative.

14. FloridaSun

Good thing for me is that I have no intention in keeping the car much past warranty...

Danhen likes this.
  15. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

Does the car still work without the screen? I always wondered what would happen if that goes out. If all the screens in the Kona went out, I could at least know when I put it in drive or reverse. :)

16. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

Congrats on your new car. I looked at the Model Y when we were shopping for our EV also. It was a bit out of our price range, but I also was not a fan of the single screen functionality. I know tons of Tesla owners that love it.. but I think it's just preference. I like buttons. :) I think a Tesla will most likely be in my future however as I've come to appreciate how much the Super Charger network would make going on road trips much easier. (Not to mention they probably have the best driver assistance in Autopilot.) It'll be a hefty price to pay when we do decide to upgrade though. :(