Blatant bias

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Sep 25, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Never forget that Tesla takes trade-ins. So if your EV does not go on cross country trips easily, this is what Tesla people have (skip to 1:10:10) :

Yes, future EVs are promised to come with Tesla Supercharger plugs and/or adapters. But today's and older EVs may be out of luck. For example, I found retrofitting CCS-1 to my 2019 Tesla will cost ~$500 for a newer charging socket controller board, small replacement wiring, and the physical adapter. Will your EV dealer even have the option to retrofit the new Supercharger interface?

In parallel, Tesla is rolling out some CCS-1 to Supercharger charging heads. But they will take time, measured in years, to be widely deployed. For example, in 2019 the Supercharger network had gaps that I had to fill with L2 (J1772) or even NEMA 14-50 charging. Four years later, the Supercharger network density doubled and I no longer have to use slow, L2 chargers to bridge the gaps.

We are often faced with picking two from: GOOD; FAST; CHEAP. A first EV will teach valuable lessons. If one lesson is 'this is not a cross country car,' Tesla will take a trade-in and prices have recently gone down in addition to the tax credit. Best of all, today's Model 3 is significantly better than my 4 year old car.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Sep 25, 2023
  2. To remove this ad click here.