Assembly animation

Discussion in 'Aptera' started by Kerbe, Feb 13, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I don't have a Facebook account (tg), but I could watch that interesting video. Again, thanks, @Kerbe, for keeping us up-to-date on Aptera.

Do you know if the parts floating into place in the animation will be installed by hand vs by robot? Will the first run for the high-rollers (as it were) be hand-built while robots are set up to whittle down the waiting list?

4. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

I understand that the animation was also released on Aptera's "X" account, if that helps...

Let's distinguish between "hand-built" and "hand-assembled" in that the prototypes are hand-built with fiberglass being manually laid-up, parts built from scratch, etc. The vehicles being built by CPC in Italy will be hand-assembled from already-manufactured parts. The individual parts are very light-weight and the pace of production so relaxed that the use of robotic arms and lifters in the assembly process might prove to be overkill. Some of the processes - like trimming the "flash" off the forged panels - are done by robotic cutters and there's every probability that the adhesive-applier will be some sort of robotic "caulking gun" but CPC's processes are part and parcel of their IP so we're not being shown very much from them.

The robotic arms that Aptera has shown in its factory plan were part of the battery pack assembly line - but that's now being handled by a contractor that plans to bring their own equipment from South Korea to California. The robotic carriers (AGVs) already in the California factory will be used during the final assembly process to carry each vehicle from station to station.

insightman likes this.