Are Solar Carports a Luxury or a Necessity in the Fight Against Climate Change?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Leo Breydon, Mar 21, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. A post I recently read says solar carports panels are gaining traction as a way to generate clean energy while providing shade for vehicles. But I wonder are they a viable solution for the average person, or are they just a fancy add-on for the wealthy?

So for me, I want to know your guys perspective to the pros and cons of solar carports panels and whether they represent a realistic and impactful solution for advancing green energy initiatives.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

To me, it makes more sense to solar-power the home (which is likely taller than a carport, giving roof-mounted solar panels a less-obstructed view of the sun). Design the home system with sufficient power to charge your car(s), too.

If the home has more obstructions and less access to sunlight, perhaps a solar carport might make sense--but you'd want one large enough to power the home, too.

As always, it all comes down to Return On Investment (ROI). If you plan to live in home for just 2 years, the investment in solar power would probably not pay off. The money you invested in a solar-power system would not likely be compensated with a higher home sales price.