Aptera and comma.ai's "openpilot"

Discussion in 'Aptera' started by Kerbe, Mar 24, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Aptera has announced that their "Safety Pilot" ADAS system is based on comma.ai's exceptional "openpilot" system!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

In 2020 Consumer Reports tested the 17 ADAS systems available at that time. They concluded their report with this:

"Editor's Note: Consumer Reports also tested an aftermarket system called Comma Two, which is manufactured by Comma.ai. Installed on a Toyota Corolla test car, the system outperformed, in most respects, ones that already come on cars, and it set new standards for the industry. But because CR does not recommend these types of modifications for consumer vehicles, the system is not included in our rankings."

4. rcarter3636

rcarter3636 Member

It will be interesting on how this is integrated.
    Some states have a no device on windshield law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Not all the info is there in the video but, IMHO, I think they're not planning to use comma's aftermarket device: I think the plan is to integrate comma tech and openpilot software into Aptera's systems, using Aptera's built-in front camera. Really, all it would require is a circuit board and processor to interface with the camera and center console screen and send commands to Aptera's directional signals, brakes, steering rack and accelerator.

insightman likes this.
  6. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Although this isn't the current release product, this video shows what comma is able to get its system to achieve:

7. To remove this ad click here.