Adapter for vari-load receptacle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Keito, May 29, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Keito

Keito New Member

Long-time reader, first-time poster. I've attached a photo for someone who wants to charge their new Bolt EV at work. There are plenty of standard 120v NEMA 5-15R plugs, but he would prefer to charge at a faster rate. The photo shows the only other outlet he could find. The side reads "Hubbell Vari-Load Twist-Lock 600V AC 30A 250V Max". From the research I did online, it appears to be one of the following receptacles: HBL45105, HBL45205, or HBL45305. The center pin appears to be round, which isn't one of the valid shapes, but perhaps it's that way because of wear-and-tear. If I'm reading the information correctly, it sounds like it provides 600V of AC and/or 250V of DC.

In any case, my question is whether or not there's an adapter, or some other method, such that he could use this receptacle to charge his EV. I'm not an electrician, but my hunch is that there's likely a transformer required, which sounds both expensive and dangerous, and thus he'll probably need to stick with the normal plug. However, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know! (We're in the U.S., if that has any bearing.)

conn.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. This receptacle is rated at 600 Y/347 V AC (the center pin is ground , the slotted pin is the identified terminal-neutral, and the other 3 pins are for the ungrounded conductors). Need a meter to test what voltage is applied (may also be up to 250V DC). Whatever the case, it is NOT the proper rating for any EVSE or DC charger that I am aware of, so best advise- don't use it