45kW Max charging at EA for an Ioniq 5?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Chicago Bob, Mar 5, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Chicago Bob

Chicago Bob New Member

I went to two different chargers (actually three. The third was broken. )
    and with a 50F temp my ioniq 5 SE got 45k max charging. I was at 20% state
    of charge at the first and 50% state of charge at the second.
    The chargers were 150K and no one else was plugged in besides me.
    ?? Is this normal

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Did you use battery preconditioning?

Chicago Bob likes this.
  4. Chicago Bob

Chicago Bob New Member

I am sorry I have a RWD SE they do not have battery preconditioning. I guess you don't get fast charging
    with a 40K plus car. WTH

5. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

I think you now know that answer. Good luck.

6. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Canada is the ugly second cousin in North America. No preconditioning, no effective Winter mode for one of their first Canadian deliveries of the top of the line Ioniq 5. Hyundai are ID10T5. No more sales, no more recommendations from me.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Granted, Hyundai screwed you and Chicago Bob, but if they saw the error in their ways and upgraded all Ioniq 5 vehicles to have preconditioning, would it then be the Ioniq 5 you wanted? Or are there a plethora of other surprise disappointments?

Mike Bearsails likes this.
  9. Chicago Bob

Chicago Bob New Member

I honestly love the car. So many positives. The navigation system is clunky but works. I even used Voice to open the charging port door.
    Just an hour and a half ago I thought I would give it one last try and after this charging session I give up.
    Here is what Hyundai should advertise. From my latest charging session time 18:58 from 43 to 59% Max rate 72kw for a less than a minute, then straight down to 47kw and by the time I finished it was at 40kw. New big ad for Hyundai the EV that cant charge when its less than 70 degrees out.
    Wonder if that will sell cars?
    The Mustang Mach-E was rocking a charge, but it does have battery preconditioning.
    So alas this a farewell. I will bring the car back to Carmax tonight.
    Farewell Ioniq 5 you sure were quite, had a great suspension, quick acceleration, great looks, and your ADAS worked well. I will miss you.
    So to answer your question I would keep it if it could charge quick when I needed it to.

insightman likes this.
  10. Even the newer models equipped with battery preconditioning must use a 350kW charger to accomplish the advertised 100km in 5 minutes.
    I agree Hyundai did miss the customer satisfaction principle by not including in the lower end 22 MY

(From Hyundai webpage)
    With the IONIQ 5, charging is as easy as plugging in your smartphone. When using the available 350 kW DC ultra-rapid charger, the IONIQ 5 can be quickly charged from 10% to 80% in just 18 minutes. And when you’re in a hurry, a 5-minute charge will give you an astonishing range of over 100km.
    What is not mentioned is finding a 350 kW charger that actually works;)

11. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

I waited 9 months, others waited 1 year for delivery. Waiting one more month for Hyundai to figure out Winter Mode wasn't working to help the batteries heat up and pre-conditioning was non-existent. Very misleading. Even the sales team thought Winter Mode should work ... nope. Hyundai are ID10T5.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

In summer temps if no preconditioning is available.

45 KW charging rate is ridiculous.

I may look at the MachE as well and trade in my Ioniq 5 - too bad Hyundai, it's a great vehicle except for your misleading your customers.

@electriceddy
    ... quoting a web page, that Hyundai can update to correct wording, doesn't help the original buyers. I got a battery heater and Winter mode (neither effective) not pre-conditioning.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  14. Glenn Gore

Glenn Gore Member

I have a long-range RWD Ioniq 5 that also does not have battery pre-conditioning. I think your experience with poor charging is not abnormal at all. I have been to a lot of EA charging stations and have found that the vast majority either do not work or only charge at 50 kw or less, I don’t care what the labels on the units say. And this is in cold or warm weather, it really makes no difference.

DC fast charging, unfortunately, right now is just a joke, and I don’t care which network you are talking about, EA, Francis, EVGo, or whoever. It is either horrible speeds or in some cases, units that cannot charge an EGMP-type vehicle like the Ioniq 5 or EV 6, etc. I have had that problem on lots of occasions.

It has all gotten to the point that I have called a halt to all long road trips in my Ioniq. If I cannot reach my destination and return home on a charge that has been done in my garage, I simply will not attempt the trip. It is actually that bad.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

15. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Then sell it and buy one you can rely on. There are more choices these days. I'm not happy with how Hyundai mislead the early Canadian adopters and am actively looking at new GM EVs. I looked at the Ford Mach E but that is a joke too. GM gave me a reasonable trade-in value ... just waiting for the actual vehicle to appear.

16. Glenn Gore

Glenn Gore Member

The car is not the problem. It is perfectly reliable. The problem is the charging network, with the vast majority of chargers only offering around 50kw rates, and a huge percentage of chargers not being able to charge an EGMP-platform vehicle.

navguy12 likes this.
  17. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

18. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

I wanted to get what I paid for.

I accepted the fact, there'd be no rear wiper; I, and many, were mislead by #Hyundai about there being no pre-conditioning on the vehicle ordered, no, we got a useless battery heater and "Winter" mode (which Hyundai mistakenly thought would do the job). Great way to treat your customers #Hyundai.

19. WA7S

WA7S New Member

This sounds like the slow charging that I’ve been disappointed with for my 2022 VW ID4. Much less than advertised. Poor cool weather performance, dismal in cold weather. Not ready for prime time. I’m a big EV fan, but it’s not for most drivers.

ScubaSteve likes this.
  20. Joe Ventre

Joe Ventre New Member

I live in Florida and it’s never cold. Stopped at EA charger on Sunday. It had a sign saying charging speed was temporarily limited to improve service. It was a 350kw charger, I got max 69kw so I called EA. They said it was the only charger at that location with the problem but that sign has been there for several months. EA said it needs service but no idea when that would be. No other cars were at the other chargers so I couldn’t tell if they worked. I reported it on Rate My Charge, you should if you haven’t already done that.

ScubaSteve likes this.
  21. navguy12

navguy12 Well-Known Member

Thats too bad. My wife’s Kona EV is sort of the same, as long as there is no need for a fast charge, its perfect.

OTOH, my five year old TM3 seamlessly travels 465 km between Kanata (ON) and Guelph (ON) with predictable charging enroute. I do this commute at least once a month; I had to do it six times in the last six weeks (family matter). Winter/summer, snow storms, head winds, whatever…it is seamless level 3 charging with the supercharger network.

ScubaSteve and electriceddy like this.
  22. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Tesla learned many years ago to implement battery preconditioning. The original EV versions they sold, did not have it either.

23. navguy12

navguy12 Well-Known Member

I know the first winter I had my TM3 the supercharging in the winter left a lot to be desired.

By the second winter, it had been figured out and fixed by one of the OTA updates.

ScubaSteve likes this.