2023 Kona Electric won't go into Utility mode

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Celtic Norseman, Jun 11, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Celtic Norseman

Celtic Norseman New Member Subscriber

Happened the other day after I plugged in to a DC fast charger. I tried to turn on utility mode and it gave an error to the effect of "operating requirements for utility mode not met" with no specifics. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Utility mode can only be activated when the car is in "run" mode (and parked), which of course cannot achieved when charging.

Lars and Celtic Norseman like this.
  4. Celtic Norseman

Celtic Norseman New Member Subscriber

Thanks. So the car is on, and in park. What's the difference between the car being on and in "run" mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. When charging, run mode can be activated just like when you start the car normally...foot on brake...push start button. This allows HVAC use etc with the energy supplied being diverted from charging the HV pack taking longer to charge. The 12V systems are additionally topped up accordingly.
    Utility mode is used when not charging, supplying the HVAC and 12V systems directly from the HV pack, the 12V system is charged at a higher rate (ie 14.6V where normally 13.2V in run mode), similar to what happens when the Hyundai emblem glows yellow periodically after shutdown.
    Accessory mode, which can turn on all 12V accessories simply by pushing the start button without foot on brake, is something to be avoided (it may on occasion happen by mistake) is visually indicated on the cluster and sometimes a 12V screen warning. Car is "on" but not in run mode, (no green car with arrows underneath symbol on dash display)
    Hyundai was very kind to include the Utility mode and provides a great 12V top up which I use a couple times a month ~2 hours and definitely every time the car is going in for any kind of service.

mtd, Lars and John Lumsden like this.
  6. Thanks.

Lars and electriceddy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.