2023 kia niro electric battery questions

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Eliot Tigerlily, Jun 8, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Eliot Tigerlily

Eliot Tigerlily New Member

I recently leased the new 2023 kia niro all electric. I have had a hard time finding information on the new NCM battery that they choose to use in the 2023. From what I have found it seems like maybe a downgrade from the previous batteries. Our range is definitly lower then our 2019 that we just returned. With this type of battery is it still not a good idea to charge to 100%? Is there a bigger risk of fire? Any info about these batteries is appreciated. Thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TheHellYouSay

TheHellYouSay Member

They have switched from batteries made in South Korea, to batteries made in...............drum roll please..................................CHINA! To save costs. Rmpart51's link has good information and this one below is specific to Kia Niro EVs.

I am SO glad I bought early, like the space program, they put their best foot forward to establish their reputation. And they built it with batteries made domestically. Now that EVs are catching on it's going to be about "saving money" to "keep costs down", which we all know means "screw the consumers".

https://www.electrive.com/2022/06/22/kia-niro-ev-to-use-catl-batteries/