2019 Leaf "e-Plus" (60kWh)

Discussion in 'LEAF' started by Kenneth Bokor, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Member

2. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Member

Ok, so I predicted some pretty close info to this. Main specs: 62kWh pack, 160kW motor, 250-ft/lb torque, EPA range 364kms/226 miles, rapid charging CHAdeMO 70kW but can peak to 100kW, air cooling for thermal management, same size exterior/interior as current 40kWh model, couple of small exterior badging cues.

Inside, same but 1 big change: infotainment now 8-inch touchscreen with updated NAV and smartphone like feel/touch. Can also be updated Over The Air for NAV, BMS and firmware.

Price, only saw UK estimate at 36,000 and change GBP to start.

Not stated but I believe batteries to be LG CHEM, so different chemistry and with active air should be more heat tolerant and avoid "rapid gate".

What do you all think?

Domenick likes this.
  3. Domenick

Domenick Administrator Staff Member

4. Mike L

Mike L New Member

As a prospective Leaf buyer, I'm not sure if I'm hoping more for a reasonable price point on the e+, or that it drives higher incentives on the 40kW model.

I'm in a part of the U.S. where my only EV options are the Leaf, Bolt and i3, and the Leaf is the only one in my price range. It's going to be an interesting year.

5. Domenick

I was about to suggest looking at used Bolts, but prices are pretty high. There's a couple out there in the $25K neighborhood, but most are higher.

6. Domenick

7. Mike L

Mike L New Member

Bolts are still so new, hardly any have come off leases yet. If I have AutoTrader search a 100-mile radius, I get one hit. I'm also reassured by the fact that Nissan is almost a decade into this technology, so I imagine better dealer support given the low volume of sales.

(If I didn't have kids to get into the back seat, I'd buy a used i3 tomorrow and happily sleep on the couch for the rest of the year)

Domenick likes this.
  8. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Active Member

I hope that Nissan addresses the deal-breaker problem for taller drivers: the center console has a flare that puts a sharp corner into my leg right below my knee. This should be an easy fix.

Also, I like the higher rear seat, which supports adults legs better - except now the headroom is low. A steeper angle might be the best compromise?

9. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Member

Hi Neil, sorry but in this longer range Leaf, the centre console is still the same. The only added change is the infotainment screen/centre. Everything else is identical, interior and exterior.

I understand ergonomically that the Gen 2.0 Leaf is a challenge for taller folks, so one of such stature would have to drive it (or at least sit in it) and determine if this could be an option for long-term and daily driving. If not, then there are other options to look at. Maybe the Kia Niro EV, as the Kona is still somewhat small and the Ioniq has a smaller back seat area then the Leaf, might be a good option to wait for.

Domenick likes this.
  10. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Active Member

Hi Kenneth,

We had a first gen Leaf (2015 S), and a 2015 e-Golf. Now we own a 2017 Bolt EV, and are leasing a 2017 e-Golf. We fit very well in all of these - I'm 6'-4" and my son is almost 6'-6".

Domenick likes this.
  11. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Member

That is great to know! I'm only 5'6" so I'm not used to "altitude" (only when flying!).

12. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Member

Also, no LG Chem Cells - staying with in-house (AESC). Not sure if any chemical changes from 40kWh cells, however my guess is not.

13. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Member

Got some great tidbits today on the Leaf e+ while in Detroit for the NAIAS! Stay tuned for my next short episode of the EV Revolution Show for more!

Domenick likes this.