2018 AC Failure

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by K8QM, Jun 9, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. K8QM

K8QM Active Member

Hey All,

I've been MIA on the forum for quite a while, but thought I'd share this...

Our 2018 with about 67k miles had an AC failure last week. It turns out there is a known problem with the compressors and the repair will be completely covered (not sure if this is due to HondaCare or a TSB). That would be great news except that the compressor is made of unobtanium and they don't know if it will be days, weeks or months before the repair can be made. Luckily, I don't have to drive too much right now as central North Carolina isn't particularly pleasant in the Summer!

BTW I had to sign off on a $500 diagnostic fee, but the service advisor came as close as he could without promising that there wouldn't be any charge - so I'm glad I went ahead and got it checked when I did.

geo

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Reread the message. Question answered.

4. It looks like Team A/C is the odds-on favorite to win Gold at the Forum Topic Olympics this month. They currently hold 3 of the top 5 positions on the leader board.

5. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

A reasonable diagnostic fee is completely fair as it takes them time to figure out the problem etc. However they are usually capped at 1.0-1.5 hrs at posted labor rates or roughly a flat $120-150 to start. $500 for a diagnostic fee is insane...

As to your question, I'm only aware of a frequent problem with the condenser, not the compressor

sabasc likes this.