Clarity Recall Repair Question (for fuel cell version)

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by tps5352, Feb 26, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. tps5352

tps5352 Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Did Honda give you a bye on your lease payments while they kept your car for 10 weeks? I salute you for bearing the burden of a true early adopter for the sake of being an eco-driver.

4. tps5352

tps5352 Member

No; no need. Those of us experiencing this long recall-repair delay are being given free "loaner" cars (in my case from Enterprise Rental Car). I elected to temporarily pay a discounted amount for an upgrade to a Tesla Model S for 10 days, then switched back to a free Toyota Camry which was also fun to drive, even though it is an ICE car, once I discovered the "sport" mode (with 8-speed shifting via the center shift lever [much better than the Honda Clarity buttons] and paddles [like F1 cars] on the steering wheel). Nonetheless I was glad to get back to my leased Honda car with its better (electric-motor) response and HOV sticker use of the diamond lanes. (The Model S was really fun, though.)

All this comes with driving an experimental vehicle, I guess, and being an automotive "pioneer." I believe the problem (causing this recall) was an undetected software glitch that resulted over time in internal corrosion, so that fuel cell stack parts had to be replaced--an expensive repair. I believe this was corrected by the 2019-20 models?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020