Auto Regen: Best EV feature ever?

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by skidad68, Oct 26, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. skidad68

skidad68 New Member

Just wanted to post here some kudos for Hyundai/Kia on the "auto regen" feature. I'm not sure what other brands offer a similar feature, but this IMO is the single best feature of H/K EV's. If you don't have it turned on, you should.

If you're not familiar with it, auto-regen uses the ACC radar to detect cars slowing in front of you and automatically adjusts the regen level to slow the vehicle appropriately. If you drive at reasonable speeds and following distances, the auto-regen will handle most of the braking for you such that you rarely even need to touch the brake pedal.

Not only does the car almost drive itself, but it's also very efficient. Unlike many recent techno-innovations (lane keeping assist? - meh), this feature really does improve the driving experience. Nice work H/K.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Yes! I love this feature, and use it constantly as my default setting. another of the features that make the Hyundai/Kia EVs so underappreciated!

Our new Audi Q4 has something similar, but it's much more subtle and only functions under a specific set of settings.

4. I find auto regen annoying. I will use the paddles to toggle it up and down to where I want it, thank you very much. Yyou may not know that you can hold the right paddle in and the vehicle will come to a complete sto without using the brake.

It sounds like you’re not using the adaptive cruise control (ACC) plus lane keep assist. ACC also brings the car to a stop if the car in front stops, and even starts moving again if the stop is not more than a few seconds. If the stop is longer, you have only to tap the accelerator to re-engage the ACC.

Using ACC tends to lower efficiency relative to my unassisted driving style, so I use it mostly in slow heavy traffic on a highway and on long low density highway drives when I am lazy.

I had no idea how much brain and stress it takes to deal with constantly slowing and speeding up again in congested traffic . When the car is doing this for me I am much less tired after a long period of crappy traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. Robert Besen

Robert Besen Member

In my 2020 Niro I have to hold the left paddle, not the right, to bring the car to a complete stop.

6. It is the left paddle on the 2019 too. I made a mistake in my earlier post and hopefully did not cause anyone distress. Thank you for the correction.

I almost never touch the left paddle anymore and forgot.

I tend to use the right paddle to turn off the regen, instead engaging it with the brake pedal and rely on ACC to slow me in congested traffic. Sometimes on a long hill not on the highway, I will flip the left paddle 2-3 times to coast at a reasonable speed. I wish the car would remember the last regen setting, but it seems to default to a value dependent on whether the car is in eco/normal/sport mode.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Robert Besen

Robert Besen Member

On my 2020 you can set the default regen level for each driving mode. I think it's under setup/vehicle settings, but not sure. The manual is pretty worthless so you may have to search around in the menus.

9. snowy2020

snowy2020 Member

In my 2020 setting the default regen level for the driving mode always resets when I get back into the car.

10. Robert Besen

Robert Besen Member

Huh, that's weird. No idea why mine is different than yours.