2021 Kona EV (Preferred) conversion to LED (exterior and interior)

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by navguy12, Aug 25, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

Very simple answer to that question RP. Keep vehicles for average of 2 to 3 years max, so that I have factory warranty . Also like change.

Already posted earlier on this forum that I sold the 2019 Jetta Execline in April. Also stated I wanted an EV at that time.

If I was choosing an EV based only on interior quality/seats features than only the German cars Audi/VW/Porsche/BMW etc be on the list.

Dan

Kirk likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Wow, that's a lot of depreciation you lose each time. You must have money to burn...

Me, I try to buy high quality cars that last a long time and I don't get tired of driving them. And so far, they have. My Kona is a 2019, and I still consider it a new car. And when I get the replacement battery, the most expensive part will be brand new. I should be good for a long time.

4. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

Leasing works for me, yes a lot of depreciation but only have 2 hobbies, my stereo and cars. But hoping that with an EV since they supposed to be much more reliable I will feel comfortable still owning car after the average 3 year bumper to bumper warranty is over.

Dan

5. That's where our Canadian/Provincial government subsidies kick in, reducing the impact. No not a lot of money to burn, but happy to have received a substantial incentive each time I have purchased, building that equity far above what I have ever had previous in my ice days. Same purchasing frequency about every 3 years.
    Looking back , I just wish now I had done it every year and received maximum $ rebates.

Kirk likes this.
  6. I change cars roughly every three years as well and accept the losses because something else always catches my eye. But this time around I like the Kona, despite being locked into it until Hyundai NZ tells us what's going on, an update expected by the 25th June.
    What I did do is buy a used ICE car I've always wanted as a daily beater that I can park anywhere, and for something to work on maintenance-wise that is out of warranty and I can't mess up.
    But if the battery fiasco wasn't enough our government has just introduced a "feebate" scheme which provides a subsidy for new or imported used low-emission vehicles. Bottom line is that my Kona is worth many thousands less as a result. A brand new one would now be about NZ$3.5k less than I paid for my 2018.

I've watched quite a number of Sandy teardown videos and find him biased and arrogant. He tries to tie every detail back to his extensive but shop-floor-acquired production engineering experience and clearly has no formal training because he doesn't know better than to just stick to his knitting. He has an opinion on every subject despite knowing nearly nothing about many. And if it isn't the way Tesla would do it's no good in his view.

Without being privy to the design process it's really uncertain as to whether one can simply judge the integrity and quality of Ford's design simply by viewing what appears on the surface to be a tangle of wires and hoses at the front. Ford are in the business of making money and what counts far more is whether it meets the design targets and advertised specifications.

I've always been jealous of electrical and software disciplines because few casual viewers are knowledgeable enough or have the opportunity to offer an opinion of their well-hidden designs while in mechanical design every half-wit walking by has something to say.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    syntaxfx, apu and R P like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I bought my Kona after the Ontario government cancelled its EV subsidy and before the Federal government instituted theirs. I've always had superb luck and timing. /s

Kirk and electriceddy like this.
  9. Well that settles it then for me, I was pondering the Ionic 5, but will definitely now wait the 6 months after you take delivery.
    It's like money in the bank:D

10. navguy12 likes this.
  11. LED bulbs or not I think the Kona is an excellent car. It was designed to hit a certain market and it fits just fine. The battery issue is/was very unfortunate. The 'stuff hidden under the hood' comparison with the Mustang speaks for itself. For me it beat the 2020 BOLT hands down. A much better value for the price. Every range comparison you look at, it is right up there with big boys. And that matters.

FinYang likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. There are two filaments with different wattages. My guess as to your question is that in daylight the brighter filament is used to contrast adequately with ambient light and DRLs. At night and when the lights are on the smaller filament is adequate.

Lars, navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  14. Here in the land of Oz it is illegal to change headlight bulbs away from OEM. You can get your vehicle defected and cop a fine if you're unlucky.

Notwithstanding that, I've done a LED conversion to two vehicles that used H4 bulbs. While the low beam cut-off appeared sharp and well placed, there was a lot of stray light that dazzled oncoming drivers. I got "flashed" many times and have removed the conversion on my latest vehicle.

Lars likes this.
  15. Interesting. I had factory isntalled (OEM) LED headlights on my 2016 Prius and often got "flashed" by oncoming drivers.

16. How come nobody tested this crazy possibility to date? Maybe if the headlights are ON the 'other' filament will light up? I will give it a shut.

electriceddy likes this.
  17. I tried all variations I could think of, headlights ON and OFF, activated the turn signals, the Emergency flash and I could not activate the filament connected to the taller stems in the front amber bulbs. What ever configuration I tried, the filament supported by the short stems came on. Hmm .... :(

18. MauiM

MauiM New Member

What a great thread. I'm going through all of this now. Can someone please point me to a diy on how to change the rear turn signal bulbs? It seems virtually impossible :/

ansonchappell likes this.
  19. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Turn and reverse lamps are accessed from below via removing the rear under-belly plastic; see this page
    for a couple of explanatory pix. Four 10mm nuts and a handful of expandy-clips.

_H*

Kirk and navguy12 like this.
  20. Good afternoon all!
    First, thank you for this thread! I am grateful there is always someone who has done the same as what I'm hoping. I am gathering that the two lights below are accepted as suitable user-replacements for a 2019 Preferred?
    For Low beam Headlight: LASFIT H7
    For backup light: Phillips 168
    The pictures are from Amazon obviously.
    One last question:

What's people's experience with adding Fog lights to the Kona? We have a LOT of fog around here, it's something I've always wanted to have on a car. What would be the process to make that happen for our Konas?
    Cheers
    Chris
    Edit: Image is for an H7 buib for the 2019 Kona Preferred.
    Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 13.04.21.png Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 12.03.17.png

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
  21. As a 2019 series 1, aren't the low beams H7? I did exactly what @hobbit documented here and they're still working great.

navguy12 likes this.
  22. ah! Yes! You're right. I've updated the image accordingly. Thank you for catching that.

KiwiME likes this.
  23. Got the LASFIT bulbs this morning and just installed them. Everything went fine, I even discovered a handy little door in the wheel well right behind the headlamp access that made it much easier to get at the lights.

Unfortunately, when I tested the 2nd bulb, no joy. One of the new bulbs appears to be DOA. Aarrrgh. I hate having to return Amazon stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs