Canadian pre-orders now available

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by electriceddy, Jun 1, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

They strongly wanted me to upgrade to more expensive model. Also they only stock Ultimate trim level of the Kona electric.
    They stated this in email, I received after placing deposit. Not even a phone call.

Maybe it's better not to have car on order and no official prices.

Dan

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Sure. Frankly that dealership sounds like it's full of jerks.

4. miatadan

Dealership experience is a factor. Same place where they ignored me when I was looking at vehicles in 2019.

I always had good relationship with Cambrian Ford, Sudbury, they even give me Mustang's overnight for test drive, no questions ask.

That is why when I first starting posting , I said I was ordering the Mach-E Select RWD but realized financially too expensive. Do not desire to be car poor. Main reason for basically $44999 limit as it brings it down to $40,000.

Dan

5. iluvscuba

iluvscuba Active Member

10 days ago, I was considering either the id4 and the ioniq5 but after the Canadian debut of the trims, id4 will be my choice unless the price is significantly lower than what everyone think. Can someone tell me if there is any OBJECTIVE reason to choice the ioniq5 over id4 assuming the Essential is $45k, the Preferred is probably $48-50k. For the same $45k price, the id4 has more range, rear wiper, heat pump, heated windshield, dynamic road sign display, heated front seat, 2 years (not confirmed) free charging etc whereas the ioniq has sliding back seat and power driver seat (US has 2 years free charging but no info on Canadian model)

insightman and miatadan like this.
  6. miatadan

I was at VW dealership last week and since they are not on list of Ontario dealerships at the moment for ID4. they would order ID4 for me in December. Recently paid in full VW Financial after selling my 2019 VW Execline. Just was not happy with the slower 0-60sec of the base RWD.
    But the handling, driving dynamics is really good from reviews I see.

Dan

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. It really boils down to the price and styling. The ID4 from most accounts is competent but it's never going to stir anybody's blood. Maybe Hyundai will surprise with pricing, particularly the middle of the range?

miatadan likes this.
  9. miatadan

Would agree with you there. Both the Mach-E and Ioniq 5 have better styling.

Dan

10. Northern Bernie

Northern Bernie New Member

I wouldn't tell someone where to put their money, but if we are assuming the essential is $44999, than the preferred RWD will also be eligible for tax credit. So if the price of that is, let's say $49k, you'll still get the $5k rebate/credit whatever it is making it $44k

Wildeyed likes this.
  11. miatadan

Hyundai Canada themselves refunded the deposit instead of dealership.

Probably for the best as not much information available and do not even know the performance stats compared to other EV’s yet.

So will wait for awhile now.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The ID.4 and even the Ioniq 5 are made for utility, not blood-stirring. Of course my definition for blood-stirring would be Dan's Miata or my MINI Electric, two cars that don't focus on utility (although the MINI has more interior cargo space than a Bolt when both have their rear seats folded). In 50 years, none of my small sports cars has been as much fun to drive (granted, I never owned a Miata or Honda S2000).

14. miatadan

I think deep down, I can not really be happy with a suv/crossover no matter how good the Ioniq 5, Mach-E, ID4 is.

Logic may be that utility / practical is what many choose but I really can not be happy unless the car is fun to drive. Styling on its own not blood-stirring.

So few EV's on the market that consider that aspect that are not super expensive ( Porsche Taycan )
    In the affordable range most likely the Mini Cooper SE, Mazda MX30, Tesla Model 3 is what I need to decide on. If PHEV BMW 330e...

Dan

insightman likes this.
  15. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

I watched a German YouTube channel doing a range and charging test going a consistent 130 kph on the Autobahn. He did video the complete trip and learned a few interesting facts about the Ioniq 5:

1. That rear spoiler does nothing to clear the rear window. The trip was done in the rain and the driver couldn't see out that window the entire trip. If 130 kph didn't clear the rain off, how is 60 supposed to? Hyundai and Kia have made a poor choice in not having a rear wiper. The new eSportage teaser photos don't show a rear wiper either. The '90s version of the Pathfinder had a wind deflector that did actually clear the window but those Pathfinders had an almost vertical window and they still included the rear wiper.

2. The rear camera can be used while driving forward. Since it's designed for reversing, the position is too low to make it practical for use as a rear view camera (useful if you are towing). This could've been a potential solution to point 1. RainX, or a similar product, may help too, but it needs to be re-applied. Solution 3 is for Hyundai to coat the rear window with a permanent substance that facilitates water running off it.

3. With the AWD model, ECO mode only uses the rear motor. The front will never engage, even if traction is lost. ECO mode is my preference to get the best range. No idea what the Snow mode will do but imagine it's, normally, rear wheel drive unless traction loss is detected and engaged the front drive too (wrong time of the year for this feature to be tested).

4. During the charging test, it started between 6 - 8 % and was taken all the way to 100% in 45 minutes. He reached 80% in about 20 minutes (which is excellent). A different type of charging curve was seen but it did hit the full rated charge rate of 224 Kw; this at 13 C or about 55 F. Charging was done immediately following the 130kph range test with the battery being fully heated by that drive.

Hyundai and Kia engineers ... what'ca thinking? I'm leaning towards cancelling my pre-order over the lack of a little rear window wiper. Why? Their current design doesn't appear to work and by the 2023 model, they may offer a wiper. I'll need a really good deal to overlook the lack of being able to see out the rear window in bad weather.

insightman likes this.
  16. miatadan

On YouTube some videos stating that RWD models only 215hp and 0-60sec of 7.5.

Does not make sense at all. If I had seen that earlier would not have considered the Ioniq 5 at all.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

17. Northern Bernie

That's right. The only model with a ~5 sec 0-60 is the big battery AWD. Thats the reason I keep reminding myself why I want the AWD over RWD

ScubaSteve likes this.
  18. I envy the mix and match pre-order choices of trims, drive trains and interior and exterior colours offered to the American buyers as opposed to the relatively low-end and limited choices offered to Canadians.
    But, although the trim details listed on the American site are minimal (and could be missing some features), it appears that the American cars have far fewer bells and whistles than the Canadian ones and that NONE of the American trims comes with everything like the Canadian AWD Ultimate package does.

19. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I cannot believe Hyundai will not max out the options in the US to extract every penny possible for a car in such high demand.

Wildeyed likes this.
  20. Me either but read the listed features on the U.S. site. It's slim. If they've chosen to leave off features (for some inexplicable reason) they've chosen to leave off several pretty desirable and distinctive ones.

21. Northern Bernie

They have removed the Essential trim from the Canadian Ioniq 5 preorder site. I hope they still plan on selling it. I think they will because I think it will fall just below the $45k barrier, but maybe like the Standard Range (not-plus) Model 3 they won't really advertise it. Also they may have enough essential trims requested and they don't want to sell anymore in the initial launch phase.

Anyway, all just speculation from me.

Wildeyed likes this.
  22. They're limiting their loss-leader. Interesting but understandable. They've served their purpose: qualifying the pricier trims for government rebates.

23. Northern Bernie

Exactly. Some will get their base model, the rest will get profitable trims.