Windshield wiper Chatter

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Mmisola, Mar 19, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mmisola

Mmisola New Member

Already replaced rubber blades twice. Honda corporation finally called me to inquire about my issue. Was told to take it to dealer; still under 36k warranty. Told Honda I won’t pay a dime since this issue has been present from day 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Boston_Pilot

Boston_Pilot Active Member

Did you replace the arms? Or, just the rubber inserts?

4. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Using RainX solved the problem for us.

5. el kepis

el kepis New Member

The wiper-washer design is just never going to work well, IMHO, and I also think 26" blades aren't helping.
    I have not tried RainX because we don't get much rain where I am, so my biggest issue is the washer design is terrible and no matter what blades I use the windshield just never gets clean.

insightman likes this.
  6. jdonalds

We don't get much rain either. RainX works quite well. Try it.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. el kepis

el kepis New Member

You convinced me to try it (RainX), thanks. So it helps with the washer function too?

9. I have a theory that modifying the washer fluid supply lines to spray both the leading and trailing edges of the wiper blade simultaneously may help. It may also require a pump that can move more fluid. Another option would be to install a nozzle that sprays the windshield and is independent of the wiper blades.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  10. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

el kepis

Perhaps you've already looked at the thread linked below...or not. From post #30 on down there is some informative posts which may be of help. Slight adjustment and checking the sprayer opening are sound steps to consider.

https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/windshield-washer-nozzle-position.6180/page-2#post-76646

Like someone already stated..may never be the greatest but some DIY may improve flow/coverage significantly.

Good luck!

11. jdonalds

There's no hope for the washer.

Just follow the RainX instructions.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Another option instead of RainX is Meguiars Quik Wax. I've used it on my exterior glass for 2 years and it repels water quite well, but still allows the wiper blades to smoothly swipe across the windshield. The advantage of Meguiars is that you can use it on all exterior paint surfaces and it won't leave a white waxy residue if you accidentally get some on plastic.

Mmisola likes this.
  14. Mmisola

Mmisola New Member

Only rubber insets.

15. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I tried Rain-X and that worked really well but you will need to apply it like very other month. So I switched to Aquapel , which lasts a lot longer than Rain-X. In both cases, no more chatter, skipping, jumping,etc

16. Mmisola

Mmisola New Member

Boys. Went to the dealer and had him evaluate the issue. He replaced the rubber inserts for no charge and it fixed the issue. I guess I just have to replace rubber inserts more often than I initially anticipated.

17. jdonalds

My wipers did the same thing. I treated the windshields on two of our cars with RainX and the problem went away.

18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Somewhere (I've tried snail-mail twice but have not received a reply about where), @KentuckyKen is smiling about someone recommending RainX on this forum.

19. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Instead of RainX, I use Meguiars Quik Wax on the exterior glass surfaces. I use Honda OEM wiper blade refills. The advantage of Meguiars is you can use it on all exterior painted surfaces as well.

20. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

When I tried rainx, it just seems to smear and streak when I use the wipers. Is that normal?

21. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

RainX requires significant elbow grease, but after I polish off the excess, I can go weeks without using the wipers.

sabasc likes this.
  22. yeah723

yeah723 New Member

I just bought a new Clarity in April 2021, the wiper smeared and bounced abit on day 1. I couldn't take it anymore and took it back to dealer. I was told that the windshield may needed a polish then it would be fixed. After removing the windshield film or something, dealer found out that the windshield was all scratched up, they think it is a defect. They ordered a new windshield for me and will be installing it once it arrives. Hope this helps.

23. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Basically, after a year, the rubber looses the silicon and they start giving problems. I tried both OEM inserts and ebay. Both last about a year.

Mmisola likes this.