Where's the disconnect?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mark Banasek, Jun 6, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mark Banasek

Mark Banasek New Member

Let me first say I love my e.v., and it has literally changed my life.

Now, with that being said, I use my Kia EV6 to drive Uber, and in any given week I'll have a couple hundred people in my car. For most of them, it is their first experience with an e.v. So much so, very few know how to operate a recessed door handle and struggle until provided instruction. But they confused me the first time also, so I completely understand.

A large percentage of my riders are curious about the vehicle, and e.v.s in general, and ask me numerous questions ranging from the very simplistic to the rather complex. As I answer their questions while navigating the streets of Cleveland, they are surprised by the answers and their curiosity turns into genuine interest. And the questions get more detailed.

By the time I end the ride, many already have begun praising the vehicle while expressing disbelief with the information I've provided. I assure them everything I've said is true. And as they close that recessed-handle door, they are newly initiated prospective e.v. owners

Then I turn on the news and I see that e.v. sales are in the toilet. And I become confused.

The car sells itself. It's an impressive vehicle that I fell in love with the first time I saw it. I haven't regretted my purchase for even a minute. It's 14 months old and I have over 62,000 miles on it, and it still turns heads. Constantly.

So where's the disconnect? Why are these cars not selling?

It just doesn't make sense.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I wondered the same thing in 2005 when I showed off my 2003 Prius to my fellow engineers. When I retired in 2016, there was only one other Prius owned by an 'Earth Mother' kind employee. Yet she was the one who once told me that Prius were running down blind people, pedestrians, and bicyclists.

Near as I can tell:
    • At a young age, <25, our species are curious and seeking ways to get ahead.
    • Over age 25, we have 'the answers' and curiosity is replaced by applied habits.
    Speculation, I'm strange because 'curiosity' remains fundamental to my character. I am constantly applying 'empiricism' to pretty much everything in life and I am 73. This has led to some spectacular failures but a much larger number of smaller, less noticeable successes.

So I am used to talking with someone only to see the bovine blank eyes letting me know I might as well be speaking in a foreign language. So I usually let God take care of that 'fallen sparrow.' If I really need them to change, I use the law of threes:
    1. Discuss what is going on peer-to-peer in public. If rejected and I am not convinced.
    2. Discuss in private with the chief objector bringing more facts and data. If rejected and I am not convinced.
    3. I secret including unpaid hours, do what is needed to solve the problem. When the project fails, casually bring up my tested solution.
    Your passengers are at stage 1. Not enough time or the right forum but you can leave 'seeds'. I recommend sharing the costs per mile and annual maintenance as this can connect with their own experience with car ownership.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  4. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

EV sales are not in the toilet. For the first quarter, U.S. EV sales were up 63 percent over a year ago, and EV market share rose at a comparable rate. Those numbers would be even higher if many models weren't in short supply, with waiting lists. https://insideevs.com/news/667516/us-electric-car-sales-2023q1/

insightman likes this.
  5. Mark Banasek

Mark Banasek New Member

Well it appears the reports I've heard that e.v. sales are down were inaccurate. I'm glad to hear that.
    Maybe it's just the Kia sales that are in the toilet.

But, anecdotally, I really see very few non-Tesla e.v.s on the road. And I might attribute that to the area that I live, but I've been across the country and the situation seems the same. Lots of Teslas, but not many other makes.
    But, again, that is merely anecdotal.

6. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

Very simple why you're seeing very few non Teslas.. Tesla is cranking out cars. Everyone else is cranking out promises and press releases.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Suns_PSD

Suns_PSD New Member

Some people: 1) don't drive 5K miles/ month for a living, 2) haul things often, 3) travel long distances for family or work (even if just occasionally), 4) only have 1 vehicle, 5) don't own a home, 6) live in a family home but don't have their own spot because so many people live there so they park on the street or elsewhere, 6) the electrical system at their aged home is very expensive to upgrade, or impossible assuming you think everyone should own an EV in the house, 8) Can't even afford a $10K car, much less a $50K car 8) I could go on.

It's awesome that an EV works so well for your application. However, it's very entitled to think that your circumstances apply to everyone.

9. Mark Banasek

Mark Banasek New Member

1. Jesus. Do you generally go through life waiting to be offended?

2. I guess I am entitled. I'm entitled to buy something, I'm entitled to like it, and I'm entitled to suggest that others may do the same.

3. And you're entitled to rudely disagree.

4. Isn't it a wonderful country.

Bruce M. likes this.
  10. Suns_PSD

Suns_PSD New Member

That's an entertaining response Sir. I'm not offended in any way, nor did I 'rudely' disagree. However you certainly seem easily offended. LOL

You asked 'where is the disconnect' and I just pointed out specific examples as to why others in different circumstances might view EV's differently than you.

Unfortunately, most people only view things through their specific world lens. Although I don't fit any of the examples, I gave of why people might 'have the disconnect' I'm aware enough of the general world to know that others are not in the same circumstances as I am.

If you meant 'wheres the disconnect' not literally, well consider being more specific in a public forum, where people are bound to comment and construe your comments literally.

~ take care

11. Mark Banasek

Mark Banasek New Member

Generally, I try to avoid calling names when in a discussion. I consider it rude. But, I'm old. So things may be different now.

But thanks for the life lessons. You're never to old to learn. And since my lofty position as an Uber driver keeps me separated from the lowly masses, I lack experience with anyone other than my extremely wealthy friends and family.

12. To remove this ad click here.