What would you do?

Discussion in 'General' started by hhkona, Mar 12, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. hhkona

hhkona New Member

New to the forum, new to EVs.
    The Kona EV should be here in a week or two, I have a dilemma when it comes to chargers.

Two garages- basement and detached. Ultimately, I would like charging capability in both, but for now am happy with charging in the detached garage.

Detached garage has a 6-50 that was used for a welder, on a 40 amp circuit.

I am reasonably handy, and have wired outlets and switch boxes in the past. All 120.

The car is being purchased as a commuter. We don't anticipate taking the charger with us, but I do like having options.

Can't get an electrician over in a timely fashion.

So-

A- Buy a charger set up for 6-50, get an adapter if I ever think I need it.
    B- Install a new outlet myself.
    C- figure out a charger that has an interchangeable cord- one marketed with either cord. Maybe they sell replacement cords.

Open to all input on this, including calling me an idiot for doing my own wiring.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I would go with the 6-50 and buy an adapter if and when you need it. I have a charger with a 14-50 and several adapters for when I travel. It works out fine. I have a 32 amp GE EVSE (charger) (no longer available ) and the amps can be set lower from the car or the charger. I have used the charger with an adapter on dry outlets at relatives. I always turn the amps down to 24 on 30 amp dryer outlet.

electriceddy likes this.
  4. hhkona

hhkona New Member

That is what I had in mind.
    But, I am wondering, other than the wotk involved if maybe it is worth changing the outlet.