What would be the best strategy for a 66 mile commute?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ozy, Jan 8, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ozy

ozy Active Member

I have a 33 mile commute each way on the freeway. Initially, I would get on the freeway and put the car in HV mode on the way to work and back. This didn't' make sense because I would arrive back home with surplus electric charge. Next, I got on the freeway in HV mode all the way to work (33 miles) and then used EV mode all the way back. This still left me with some residual electric charge. Today I drove all the way to work on EV and then remained on EV mode on the way back from work until the engine kicked on (happened when the power gauge was at 2 bars). Is there any downside to drain the battery all the way in this manner? Should I have waited for 3 or 4 bars and activated HV then? If there is no risk to the battery I don't mind driving on EV mode until I'm completely drained and not worrying about it.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. dnb

dnb Active Member

Depends on the price of electricity as well, as some states (CA for instance) have high electricity costs so sometimes you can end up paying more since electric on highway isn't optimal, especially in the cold with heater on.

But just drive how you want, you might end up using more gas but its likely not a big difference in pricing either way, and it allows you to make a trip to the store or something in all electric if needed. If you have a L2 charger then you can get a fast charge, but for me I'd rather have a few extra miles electric left than have to use gas just to go a few miles :)

4. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

I'd be inclined to use just enough HV on the highway to do the rest in EV; e.g. on the way home, use HV on the highway until the EV range guess-o-meter is about the same as your distance to home. The nice thing about the Clarity, though, is that you don't have to worry - you won't harm the battery by running it down.

insightman and Johnhaydev like this.
  5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I’ve pondered this same question with regards to maximum EV economy vs “babying” the battery. Someone posted that depth of discharge on a Li-ion battery was a factor in battery longevity. So even though the BMS will not let the battery be completely drained when you get to 0 EV/2 bars, I seldom let it do so. Instead I will manually switch to HV when around 4 bars or so to try to lessen my depth of discharge. This also may have helped me never to have heard the angry bees. Who knows if it’s really doing that or if it is really better for the battery? Can’t say for sure, but it can’t hurt and makes me feel better and only costs a few miles of EV.

6. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Potentially. With minimal battery charge in HV mode, the car becomes a bit of a slug. A car that doesn't accelerate very quickly when a sleepy semi driver is behind you and moving faster than you isn't very convenient :p

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

It's fun to try to arrive home with just a couple of EV miles remaining. BEV drivers suffer extreme range anxiety when this happens, but we Clarity PHEV drivers only have to worry about engine anxiety (the fear of causing the engine to start).

Walt R, jdonalds, Robin and 1 other person like this.
  9. BobS

BobS Active Member

I would drive in HV mode until the EV mode has enough range to get me home with one or two miles to spare. I don't like restarting the cold ICE to go one or two blocks.

Robin, Kendalf and LegoZ like this.
  10. Mesa

Mesa Member

With gasoline being $183.9 per gallon I have been thinking of just running the car in the HV mode on the highway and EV in town.

11. At these prices I just try not to be too concerned. As others have suggested, I just take my EV range down to some convenient number - usually 20, 15 or 10 miles remaining - then switch to HV and run that way until the appropriate distance from home and switch back to EV.

But, again, with gas this cheap it’s more a fun game to play. Plus I guess it helps the planet in some tiny way!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. RogerB

RogerB Active Member

I have a 60 mile commute (30 miles each way) and drive the entire way to work in EV. It is slightly downhill that way and gets much better mileage than the return leg. I then use HV for about 10 miles on the highway on the way home, and end up with a couple miles of battery left when I pull in the driveway. If I have errands to run when I get home, I'll run the ICE a little bit longer to make sure I have enough for that too. That way I'm only running the ICE once each day. It has worked great so far.

Walt R, Kendalf and KentuckyKen like this.
  14. LegoZ

LegoZ Active Member

Same here I don’t want the gas engine to restart. For road trips I go to hv mode immediately with full charge and stay there until I am within ev range of a charge stop. I’ll leave the car on at the fuel stop and keep fingers crossed the gas engine doesn’t start during fueling. Each time you power the car off and back on you have to go back into hv and you lose a little ev range.

15. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

The other problem I've seen is that if traffic becomes slow, the car will switch to EV mode in stop and go, and you have more engine restarts.

16. ozy

ozy Active Member

Just to be clear...I'm not concerned about price of electric vs. price of gas. Also, the fact that the ICE is on doesn't bother me in the least. I don't really view it as a game or challenge or something to avoid. However, I do want to drive in a way that doesn't damage the battery. My understanding of the 2 bars is that the battery is set to never deplete to zero. Therefore, theoretically I can drive in EV until it doesn't let me anymore and then the ICE comes on for the rest of the way. If switching to HV mode at 3 or 4 bars somehow helps the battery life I will do that instead.

17. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

I am not confident of the information that we have available in terms of the correlation between discharge level and battery life. My inclination would be to take the Honda engineers' parameters and not worry about battery degradation. For me, the consideration is more that I like to have enough battery capacity to be able to drive in EV around town, simply because I find that mode more pleasant. So I tend to run in HV on the highway and leave plenty of battery for EV non-highway if that's feasible.

ClarityDoc likes this.
  18. dnb

dnb Active Member

Now thats some expensive gas! :D

19. ozy

ozy Active Member

I agree with this. Sometimes as I drive home on the freeway I literally have to look at the energy icons to tell that ICE has come on. It really doesn't bother me at all. The noise/speed of the freeway make it almost indistinguishable. However, when I'm driving around my neighborhood and the ICE comes on it has a vaguely annoying quality to it. Before this car I used to have a natural gas vehicle (Civic CNG) which only got 200 miles/tank and had to be filled at a few select stations that had natural gas. I used to live my life watching the indicators on my dash and constantly timing how long it would take to reach the next CNG station. An error of even 1 mile and I would need to get towed. So, with this new car I'm less inclined to sweat the small stuff and worry about when I'm in EV or HV mode. It's simply a relief to not have to go to a gas station every 4 days.

20. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

Option 1: Drive the car without any thought to modes.
    Option 2: Experiment and see what uses the least gas. Take note of temperature changes and such or it will mess with your experimentation.
    Option 3: Convince your work to install EV Chargers. Find if there are rebates if they do in their area, etc. Then you can be 100% EV both directions ;)

My only comment is it is wasteful to arrive home with EV charge as you aren't using the full potential of wall electricity.

Walt R and JustAnotherPoorDriver like this.
  21. I have a similar problem. 75 mile RT commute, charger only at work (I live in NYC, and the garage I use charges outrageous amounts for charging but I have free charging at work). I'm going to be doing a bit of option 2.

I do wish that the Clarity (with its GPS) could learn the commute, and take a guess as to how to minimize cost given a price/KWh, price/Gallon, and knowledge of the route, typical traffic, and then just do the mode switching for me.

22. JulianClarity

JulianClarity Active Member

For a lot of us who bought this car, it is because we get free charge from our company, gas or electric mileages don't have too much difference for us in CA. Also we get a nice car cheap, we get to drive in the carpool lane, :)

ukon likes this.
  23. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

Heh. With the amount of computing power in the car, it strains to just run the display.

But I do find your idea intriguing. Maybe we're seeing the next level of sophistication.