What are the EVs and Plug-in Hybrids with highest amp/kw onboard chargers?

Discussion in 'General' started by maina, Oct 14, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. maina

maina New Member

Hello all,

I am a 2019 Fusion Energy owner and I am a bit frustrated with the slow onboard charger speed that the car is capable of. When I was purchasing it, I was thinking I could slap the onboard charger for a faster one from the upcoming Ford EVs and call it a day. Well soon after the purchase I realized how wrong I was :D. Anyway, I am able to AC charge at multiple places during the day for free so I am in a search of the few fastest AC charging EVs/plug-in hybrids available new or used so I can pick for my next ride. I know that the early Model S was capable of 80amp and that the upcoming Cadillac will be capable of that, but what else comes close excluding the Tesla models? I know that the I3, Rav4 EV and the B200 are capable of 11kw or so. Is the 2019 Volt Premier the fastest charging Plug-in hybrid at 7.4kw? I am only interested in the fastest onboard charger speeds not DC charging.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

In the U.S., 7.4 is going to be close to the maximum you will ever get.

Europe has 3 phase AC charging - a different connector on the car. That lets them get up somewhere in the neighborhood of 11kW.

4. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I don't think any PHEVs have a charger larger then 7.2 kw in the North American market; most are 6.6 kw or smaller. If you live in Europe, things are different.

You also have a second issue in that I suspect most of these charging stations in North America are 7.2 kw or smaller. Plus you might want to check to see if the charging station can maintain that output if more then one car is allowed to connect at the same time.

Around here, Semaconnect and ChargePoint are the two main public charging station equipment providers. Semaconect stations are 7.2kw. I suspect that most of the Chargepoint ones are also 7.2kw; however, they do make a 12kw one.

5. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Active Member

The VW ID.4 will have 11kW AC charging standard, in the US as it does elsewhere.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Above the Tesla, Std Rng Plus Model 3, they can take 48A vs 32A of mine.

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I believe that Tesla charges faster than that...

9. maina

maina New Member

Well I meant fastest other than Tesla. After some more digging I found out that currently all new Tesla's onboard chargers are limited to 48 amp due to this being the most common that owners have at home. (double 40 amp was replaced in 2016 to double 32 amp and now it is just a single 48 amp) I have the feeling that all new ev's will be limited to 48amp onboard chargers in the future as well. I will gladly purchase a plug-in hybrid with 48 amp onboard charger if any of the manufacturers are reading this! :-D

10. It sounds like want faster AC charging because you want to avoid using the internal combustion engine (ICE) in your car. Assuming you want to stay with a plug-in hybrid (PHEV) instead of going all-electric, perhaps it makes more sense if you get a PHEV with more range than your Fusion Energi.

Looking at the InsideEVs PHEV comparison chart, the Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid, BMW i3 (with ReX), and Toyota RAV4 Prime might be good alternatives to consider.

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

Wanting the 48A charger on a PHEV is a bit confusing as it would currently offer an advantage only when charging at home.
    Given that the vast majority of PHEVs have less than 10kWh of useable battery, the time savings over a 32A charger are relatively small (and why most only offer a 16A on board charger). the owner would see no difference when charging overnight, and only a slight advantage if they used the EV range during the day and returned home for a limited amount of time before needing to go again. This is definitely a fringe case and unlikely that manufacturers will see enough benefit of 48A chargers in PHEVs to justify the additional cost.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. maina

maina New Member

It will be very useful for food delivery drivers who constantly stop at hotels and restaurants offering free 48-80amp (tesla destination chargers) charging. They migth end up waiting 30 minutes to an hour for a meal to be done or like 15 minutes till they deliver the order in a large hotel so that is pretty decent amount of charge they can get for free where available! Mercedes actually just announced 48amp in the plug in hybrid GLE so hopefuly they will offer it in the cheaper models as well.