Very early thoughts on 2023 SE (took delivery three days ago)

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by BiggieSmall, Jul 2, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. BiggieSmall

BiggieSmall Member

Just wanted to jot down some first impressions after getting my SE this week (just 250 miles driven)…figured this is a good place to do so.

Quick note, this is my first EV and my other car right now is a 2017 F57 S w/ JCW pro tuning kit. So I’m very familiar with the ICE version of the car to make comparisons - can’t really do the same in comparing with other EVs.

130C5D3C-6BF3-4BB4-9F78-D934889F94EF.jpeg

Things that stood out/surprised me:

- I really like enigmatic black. Truly does look black in the shade/indoors. Absolutely pops in sunlight, and the metallic flake sparkles when taking a close look.

- Chesterfield leather seats feel quite stiff? Like the leather isn’t as soft as I had expected. Seats are still very comfortable and I suspect the leather with loosen/soften with age.

- Ambient lighting color options seem to change depending on if you’re in the “lounge” (light blue circle speedometer) or “sport” (red circle speedometer). Not a bother just weird to limit options like that. I do like the white ambient color that isn't available at all on my 2017.

- Very happy with adaptive cruise! Especially in SoCal traffic, the system handles most situations well. Sometimes accelerates to slowly when a back up gets moving again but it’s easy enough to help it along with the accelerator.

A couple of times it felt like it slowed down a bit late when traffic slowed too but I think it would have still stopped in time without my intervention.

- Range is what I expected after doing my research. Did a one-way, 75 mile drive (90F, Cruise set to 70-75 mph, LA/OC elevation changes and traffic, normal mode, a/c pretty much blasting) - started at 100% and got there at 35%.

That’s about 115 miles total range at the same rate to 0%…could definitely get 15-20 miles more if I tried at all (lower speed, green mode, less a/c).

- Car rides REALLY soft compared to the convertible (even with dampers set to softer setting). Softer than the GTI I sold to partially pay for the SE as well. Handles bumps/imperfections really nicely - honestly feels like entry level luxury car ride quality to me. This was probably the most surprising aspect of the car.

- Love one pedal driving, don’t love the fact that the car rolls on the slightest hills instead of stopping. The car could easily hold at stops like a Tesla for example. Perhaps a software update could add this?? Allow a guy to dream!!

- Haven’t really gotten the chance to test driving dynamics yet…but I can confidently say it’s quicker than my convertible. Feels like the (2015) GTI did which is a 6.1 second to 60 mph car.

It seems to handle very well too, but I can feel more body roll, squat and nose dive compared to the same speeds/corners in the F57 convertible. Like I said, it’s much softer and that comes at a price (that I’m 100% fine with).

- HK system is good but maybe not as good my other MINI? Maybe needs to be broken in.

- Piano black all over the place in my SE’s interior. Dust and fingerprints everywhere! Going to drive me nuts…

- New steering wheel flat buttons (also piano black) are just not as good as the separate buttons on the older model. I’ve already set the speed limiter by accident while trying to raise the cruise control speed by pressing “up” just a little too far to the right (like 1 o’clock instead of noon). Not good and actually unsafe!

- Same for center instrument buttons - flat, piano black and VERY unsatisfying to press. Thankfully the touch screen means I don’t have to use them that much.

- Have to press brake pedal to release the digital parking brake? Ok..

- Wireless phone charger actually works for me but the phone is raging hot after leaving it in there for an extended period. I think I’ll just store the phone in there upside down just to have it out of the way and not charge.

- MINI app is weirdly good. I charge in the basement of my apartment complex where I know there is ZERO data coverage yet I can see the cars charging status when I check it from home. Some voo-doo **** happening there. Also being able to turn on the climate before returning to the car is fantastic.

- Turn signal click sounds are very luxury ASMR. Different from my older model.

- Side sun visor is a welcome but weird inclusion. Even more weird because the passenger doesn’t have one.

OK - if anyone was crazy enough to real all of this I hope it was useful/entertaining. I think I’ll update this thread with my thoughts…sort of a public diary about my SE.

Overall I’m VERY VERY happy with the car in case that isn’t clear! It’ll be perfect as the 2nd car when I sell the convertible and squire another larger EV with higher range I have on pre-order.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Thanks for sharing. it will be my first mini, and it is SE; coming in mid-July; very excited!.
    I have driven Teslas for last 5 years and bimmer before. My Test drive of SE felt so planted, cohesive, ride quality on local bumpy roads was surprisingly better than my Model Y - I had to order one as soon as I completed my test drive. So this comparison with gas minis is good to read; not that I'll ever buy gas one!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  4. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

Thank you for your review. The Piano Black interior trim is my least favorite thing about this car. In the fall I think I'm going to remove all the trim from the dash and door cards and wrap it and reinstall - even the large arched door trim, which will require some dremeling.

5. endquote

endquote Active Member

This is the opposite of every other report I’ve read, and my own experience. What tires did you get?

6. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

I got my SE yesterday around 4:00pm, is it me or do you feel like you are relieved that you do not need to buy gas for it?

Today is when I get to discover more about the car, but last night I tried the active cruise on the road, it was good, came to a full stop at a decent distance from the car in front of me (it was not far away) and it accelerated decent when it got going again. One pedal driving is a good thing, definitely different from 3 pedals.

I also have 2019 Mini Cooper S Iconic (which is being sold today) but I have cross punch leather in both, the SE seat feel thicker. The heated seats seem to not get as hot. The HK system seems flatter in tone that my 2019, but it may just be a break in thing. The turn signals do have a different sound, my son liked the old Mini's sound better.

I was crazy enough to read all the way thru because like you, I also have another F56 Mini.

GvilleGuy, BiggieSmall and SameGuy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

It's considerably softer than our JCW Clubman as well.

9. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

What tires are you running? I found this to be true with the OEM Ventus Evo summers on my 16" wheels. Firm, but surprisingly comfortable ride.
    Have since used Cross Climate 2 and Pilot Sport A/S 3 which don't ride as well.

10. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

My question as well.

Also, does the JCW tuning kit on the convertible include suspension modifications?

Just trying to put the point of reference for the "soft" ride in context.

11. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

What tires do you have on the SE? Reports are Hankooks have flexible sidewalls. My SE came with Goodyear Eagles and I think my SE has much less body roll than my 2015 Hardtop S had.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

JCW is by definition a stiffer ride, isn't it? I think my 2014 Clubman S has some JCW mods on it (I bought it used) and it's a much stiffer ride than any other MINI I've had.

14. BiggieSmall

BiggieSmall Member

I did a 20% to 100% charge two days ago and it was $5.50. Yes, it's relief!

MarkSasaki likes this.
  15. BiggieSmall

BiggieSmall Member

I got the Hankook tires - not sure how the other tire offerings would differ!

Edit - Should also point out I'm on the 17" Power Spoke wheels for more context!

16. BiggieSmall

BiggieSmall Member

My F57 is just a Cooper S with JCW tuning kit which is the exhaust and a chip tune - suspension is the same adaptive suspension other Cooper S have. Even at it's soft setting the F57 is more jarring of a ride for sure. I have speed bumps in my parking garage where the difference is pretty crazy between the two.

17. CuriousGeorge

Thanks!

18. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Willing to bet the SE has progressive-rate springs tuned for the heavier weight, while the newer adaptive suspensions on the S and JCW have firm single-rate springs and adjust the damping frequency on the fly to make them stick like glue.

19. CuriousGeorge

I thought that the SE simply used the front suspension components from the S and the rear suspension components from the (heavier) Clubman?

20. I have 17" power spokes on mine, with Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3's, and i am also a bit surprised by how soft the feel is, so I'm not sure it's the tires.

Coming from a Focus ST which has a dropped suspension and Pilot Super Sports, so I think it's just more of a luxury car feel than a dropped hot-hatch feel. My spouse is pretty happy with the feel; I notice a bit more roll and nose dive than my Focus ST had, but no where near our Subaru Outback (roadtrip family wagon).

BiggieSmall likes this.
  21. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Thanks to the SE's efficient design, charging from 20% to 100% for $5.50 is the effective equivalent of 66.4 mpg when gas is priced at $5/gallon and charging costs what you paid. I completely ignored the EPA's combined 108 MPGe rating and calculated this way: 80% of the SE's EPA-rated 114 mile range is 73 miles and if gas costs $5/gallon, $5.50 buys 1.1 gallons. Then 73 miles/1.1 gallons = 66.4 mpg.

22. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I pay around 4.5¢ (US) per kWh of renewable hydroelectricity at home, and gas here has been hovering around US$6.25 a US gallon since the invasion began; my MPGe will be slightly different! Quick math says 110 MPGe.

23. BiggieSmall

BiggieSmall Member

I live in an apartment - luckily we have charging stations on site but they just raised the price to $.29/kWh. Still way better than Cali gas prices but not quite the dirt cheap fuel pricing you guys are getting at home.

I did however find and test a free DC charging station near my home - I think I’ll be taking advantage of that often!

GetOffYourGas, Domenick and SameGuy like this.