Upgrade from 2018 to 2021 Clarity?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ozy, Jun 19, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ozy

ozy Active Member

I purchased my 2018 plug in about 30 months ago. I have essentially a no-interest finance charge of $518/mo and have 30 more payments to make. The dealer has offered to trade back the 2018 car for a 2021 model and to give me a new 60 mo finance charge of $500/mo. Another way of looking at this is that it will cost me another $15K to own the newer car. My questions are: is this a good deal? Can I get new rebates from California and Fed? From what I can see the CA rebate is still $1000 and the Fed rebate is $7500. If this were possible it would be an absolute no-brainer.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Boston_Pilot

Boston_Pilot Active Member

Id do it. The rebates won’t be affected by the discontinuance of the car for 2022

4. Sthomasa

Sthomasa Member

Where did you find a 2021? So CA has near none. None equals no deal on price.

5. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

My dealer in St. Louis is offering a similar deal. I am sure they don't have a 2021 either. Probably a bait and switch ruse.

6. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

But the downside is that Honda discontinued Clarity. So parts will be hard to come by in the future.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Why not just buy a second one for spare parts? I was recently quoted $22K for a 16kWh lithium battery backup for the house. I could buy an entire car with a 17kWh battery for roughly the same net cost. It even has a built in generator to recharge the batteries.

megreyhair likes this.
  9. Kailani

Kailani Member

In a mail solicitation from my local Honda dealer this week, I was offered a trade-in value of $23,500+, for my 2018 Clarity, plus another $5445 toward a new Honda. I’d leased my 2018 ($315/mo for three years and 45k miles) but , in February, I turned it in and bought a 2021 Clarity. The residual value, had I purchased my 2018, at the end of my lease in April, was about $16,700. This means if I had held on to the car I could’ve sold it back to Honda, for a tidy profit. Anyone else receive an offer like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

10. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Yes, but I like the car and don’t want to participate in the bloodbath of finding another one.