Tires for My Kona Electric

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Lars, May 20, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I have talked about Nokian WGR4 All Weather (4 Season) tires here before. I drove on these for over 12 years in my Priuses (Prii?). As I said these are not quite a 100% replacement to true snow tires. But for many city slickers I consider them an excellent choice.

I put them on my Kona a couple of months back and again I am not disappointed. Sure beat the factory tires my Kona EV was shipped with. I do not notice any loss of the car's efficiency. They are also 'low rolling resistance' rated.

I just read a not so super rating of these in a Consumers Magazine. I was surprised how low they rated it.

The bottom line study before you buy.

nigels likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. nigels

nigels Active Member

Before I bought my Kona, I did a lot of reading and saw that people universally complained about the OEM Nexens that are installed on the car. Everyone at the time was raving about the Nokian WRG4s, so I installed them as soon as I picked my car. Living in New England, I liked the idea of having all season tires that would get me through the winter without needing snow tires. I've been happy with them: they have more grip, corner and handle well enough for a utility vehicle, and don't drone on the highway. The only caveat is that I'm not sure they'd be very good in an emergency stop - the Kona has a tendency to lock the wheels up without ABS interaction, just as it allows a lot of wheelspin before traction control kicks in. Few people seem to mention the Nokians today, which is a shame. Oh, and I was thrilled to see 6.2 mi/kWh / ~10 km/kWh puttering around country roads today. Perhaps their low-rolling resistance makes a difference. Bottom line, I think they're a good tire, but perhaps not the best option. I'd like to see an objective bake off for Kona tires.

Lars and BC-Doc like this.
  4. what are better choices then? I don't necessarily need all season. I've read elsewhere Nokien 1 tires.

5. nigels

nigels Active Member

6. Alex7xl

Alex7xl New Member

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Just like anything else. There may not be one best tire for all. Ultimately one has to pick one. I like my Nokian WR G4. (Disclosure I do not own shares in Nokian!) I bumped the curb recently and looked at the tire - no harm done :D - but noticed that it is also "Low Rolling Resistance" rated.

Jennifer likes this.