Timing and buying a clarity

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by DBSeattle, Sep 17, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DBSeattle

DBSeattle New Member

Would love to get the brain trust thoughts on this. Is there a better time of the year or even time of the month to be negotiating for purchase of the clarity?
    The 2019 models will presumably come out in December. Is it easier to get a good price now or by waiting till October or November? Does the wait risk the inventory being depleted therefore with no advantage in price.?
    In general are the dealers more likely to have incentives at the beginning or end of any month? Thanks as always for the very helpful replies.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ab13

ab13 Active Member

Salespeople generally get pay based on monthly sales, so end of month is when they try to increase sales. For cars with tax incentives, the end of the year is when sales increase so there will be more people looking to buy a limited inventory at the end of the year. Since apparently the 2019 doesn't come out till next year, only 2018 inventory can be bought this year.

DBSeattle likes this.
  4. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

And you need to take into account when will Honda stop making 2018s, if they haven't already...

DBSeattle likes this.
  5. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

Also realize everyone will rush to buy EVs last 2 months of year to take advantage of tax credits.

6. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

I'd go with Halloween :eek: (seriously!)

DBSeattle likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You should decide how far you'd go to buy a Clarity, then expand that area even more and start monitoring the inventory of Claritys in the that enlarged area. That will give you an idea of how they're selling and if the color and trim you desire is available.

Our dealer had 4 for a long time, then at the end of last month they sold all but a base model that has 1000 miles on it that they're listing for $32,920 on their website. I suspect they'd offer an even better deal at the end of the month on this car.

DBSeattle likes this.
  9. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

By accident I went just before the dealer closed on a Sunday night, at the the end of the month. They really worked to make a sell. There was some glitches but I had copies of the deal and they eventually leased me the car. The lease was better because of the incentives got factored in.

10. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Careful with ZEV states. These will give you excellent numbers since there's Honda dealer cash available. But if you register the car in a non-ZEV state, the price gets jacked up when doing the paperwork when finance manager notices it. If you live in one, only shop dealers in a ZEV state.

11. leehinde

leehinde Active Member

I ended up buying at the end of the day/night as well. Turned out the best advantage was that when I told the finance guy all I wanted was the loan (0.9!) and none of the other things he was about to try and sell me, he didn't try. End of the day, time to go home.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.